IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Peter, curious I dont remember if you rented a car when you came to the USA
if so, how hard was the lefty righty thing? Was thinking of renting a car at heathrow for a week or two and figure if I remember that the steering wheel needs to be towards the center of the roadway I should be ok. Last time I drove over there was in 1973.

Landridnod wells is not really on a regular bus route
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New (Apropos) In '73 I also faced this demon
In friend's car, set out for a longish trek from Stoke Newington --> [don't recalll locale], but it was at night and I managed the maybe 10 mi run without killing anything/or dying. Later w/car's owner along, I lost-REFS at a roundabout; did the prudent thing of going with the flow at that point--not in correct direction. It got sorted, shortly. Point: both events needed 99% concentration ... I'd never pass the onerous UK driving test.. without X mos of 'creating/reinforcing' the new habits.

(My first experience--in the A-H Sprite in '60)--found self on the wrong side of a dual carriageway--fortunately or unfortunately empty! Had there been one other occupant it would have been instantly obvious this was Rong, of course. A luckily-nice Bobby stuck out a hand from roadside, saw I was a new-Yank and sent me to make it So, sans handcuffs. No problem later from Londinium to Harwich ferry, nor a few months later: from Channel ferry to Birmingham(?), thence ferry to Isle of Man.

tl;dr: I don't think this switch gets easier as geezer-hood looms; guess I'd say, "think twice" at least, before guessing.. just how quickly-AND-perfectly? you would perform. 46 yrs is a long gap in assessing one's adaptability, I wot. fwiw
New I didn't
Pro-tip from other friends/family who have come over and driven: rent an auto. If you don't specify, you'll get a manual, and unless you drive a manual daily, you don't need the extra cognitive load.
New Do you also have the pedals the wrong way around?
--

Drew
New Same pedal layout.
But you're using the correct hand for once, and such a jarring transition from wrongitude to righteousness can't be easy.
New Hadn't even thought about the hand ... Agree with your recommendation, I'd get an auto
--

Drew
New wouldnt have isues with a manual and since the clutch really isnt necessary until you come to a full
stop and start from a full stop pedal layout would not be an issue. Since I am left handed the stick wouldnt be an issue.
New Manual cars need the clutch on every gear change, you know that, right?
How long is it since you drove a manual, box? :D

(well strictly speaking they don't need it, but no, fiona, you're not good enough to correctly match revs between engine and transmission on every up- and down-shift)
New would need to use the clutch to see what the shift points are on that vehicle then no, I wouldnt
New If you do get an auto, be prepared for sticker shock.
Auto transmissions are *very much* more expensive in the UK ime. And rent it here before you go to save some extra cash.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New There's an uplift, but it's not huge
For example, Enterprise will give you a manual "standard" car (Vauxhall Insignia or similar) for £18/day for a manual, £23/day for an auto.
New Wow. That's different.
Budget rental here has a 1 week rental of a VW Golf picked up and returned to Reading for a week with an automatic at 95.21USD vs a VW Golf manual at 109.43USD. The automatic is cheaper by two bucks a day! That wasn't the case in September, 2017, I assure you. But, I stand absolutely corrected.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New On a motorcycle I don't need clutch on the way up
Tried a few times in the car and I can do it, but it wasn't any quicker.
--

Drew
New Mine's bigger™
(On one of the earlier, pre-abused Citroëns, I figured out how to use the small hand-control clutch-lever to hydraulically double-clutch into the non-synchro-equipped low gear). Screw this up and it's Lots of disassembly + Francs.

So if you think you're really a Master: try this on a ..oh, say MG-TC?--which is all crash-box because--Stiff-upper-lip, mate! But for what £££ pristine TCs have flogged for, even half a century back.. is it worth cheating-death on every ride to the 7/11 for a Big Gulp?

Humbly ..as hell
;^>
New Modern synchomesh boxes are not at all sympathetic to clutchless changing
I thoroughly explored this concept when I had a company veerhickle.

There's a clutch, and you're expected to use it, because half the time when you don't, even when you match perfectly, it'll grind like a bastard.

On my own car, I double-declutch when I can be bothered/remember (smooths out changes like you wouldn't believe).
New Apropos...
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New that article was what incited me to post after reading
     Peter, curious I dont remember if you rented a car when you came to the USA - (boxley) - (16)
         (Apropos) In '73 I also faced this demon - (Ashton)
         I didn't - (pwhysall) - (12)
             Do you also have the pedals the wrong way around? -NT - (drook) - (2)
                 Same pedal layout. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Hadn't even thought about the hand ... Agree with your recommendation, I'd get an auto -NT - (drook)
             wouldnt have isues with a manual and since the clutch really isnt necessary until you come to a full - (boxley) - (8)
                 Manual cars need the clutch on every gear change, you know that, right? - (pwhysall) - (5)
                     would need to use the clutch to see what the shift points are on that vehicle then no, I wouldnt -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                         If you do get an auto, be prepared for sticker shock. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                             There's an uplift, but it's not huge - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                 Wow. That's different. - (mmoffitt)
                     On a motorcycle I don't need clutch on the way up - (drook)
                 Mine's bigger™ - (Ashton) - (1)
                     Modern synchomesh boxes are not at all sympathetic to clutchless changing - (pwhysall)
         Apropos... - (malraux) - (1)
             that article was what incited me to post after reading -NT - (boxley)

Is this how you were? Because I said, "As you were," and I don't think this is how you were.
137 ms