IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Recent reading list recommendations
"The Rook" and "Stiletto" by Daniel O'Malley - smart, funny urban fantasy-ish.
"Going Postal" by Pratchett - GNU jokes! Alice and Bob jokes! Super geeky and fun.
The Lady Astronaut series by Mary Robinette Kowal - start with the novelette
"The Lies of Locke Lamora" by Scott Lynch - gritty fantasy with lots of twists
"Ancillary Justice" by Ann Lecke - what happens to a multi-body AI when it loses all but one body
"The Cruel Stars" by John Birmingham - military-ish space opera
The Tristopolis series by John Meaney - this is a trippy alternate world where everything runs on necromancy
Machineries of Empire series by Yoon Ha Lee - calendaric magic in space! extraordinarily creative
The Witcher series by Andrzej Sapkowski - the novels the games were based on, not a novelization

In progress:
The Collapsing Empire series by Scalzi - read the first book, looking forward to the next one, but first I'm reading:
The Inheritance Trilogy by N. K. Jemisin - she's an engaging, smart writer, very enjoyable so far
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Noice.
I got to meet Daniel O'Malley again last weekend. The Rook is wonderfully different - I now have a copy of Stiletto in my TBR pile. :-)

Given your list, you'd probably enjoy Ambassador (first of a lengthy series) and Shifting Reality (there is a sequel) by Patty Jansen. Ambassador is a scifi set a little in the future with a strong dose of inter-alien politics. Shifting Reality is also scifi set quite a bit further ahead on a mining space station with some strong ethics and morality questions.

https://pattyjansen.com/

Wade.
New Thanks, added to my list.
I've been reading a lot more lately instead of obsessing over the news. Much better for my state of mind.
Regards,
-scott
New I got so many books suddenly last weekend.
Author's alley at Oz ComicCon...

I don't read as much as I used to because my eyesight is not so good anymore. But I can read on the evening train instead of watching music videos.

Wade
New For text/eyes-overload relief
recommend (any) Jacques Tati flics of yesteryear--before Reagan, Shrub thence armageddonish-Today
Mon Oncle ---> onwards :-)
(Especially Playtime; ya gets the wry humor + social enlightenment, a two-fer).
New Re: "instead of obsessing over the news"
Funny you should say that. Among other things, my wife's doctor told her to quit watching so much cable news stuff to lower her blood pressure.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New It helps.
Regards,
-scott
     Recent reading list recommendations - (malraux) - (6)
         Noice. - (static) - (5)
             Thanks, added to my list. - (malraux) - (4)
                 I got so many books suddenly last weekend. - (static)
                 For text/eyes-overload relief - (Ashton)
                 Re: "instead of obsessing over the news" - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     It helps. -NT - (malraux)

Have you ever noticed that all the instruments searching for intelligent life are pointed AWAY from Earth?
41 ms