IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Amen!
There was a time states in the US had such institutions. But then some bureaucrats and politicians decided that much money could saved by letting the inmates fend for themselves. So these inmates became "street people" along with alcoholics and drug addicts. Inevitably these folks broke laws and became inmates of prisons. The prison staff is not trained to deal with people with mental issues.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Re: Amen!
"There was a time states in the US had such institutions."

Yes there was. To read about the last place left like that, start here:

https://www.amazon.com/Gods-Hotel-Hospital-Pilgrimage-Medicine/dp/1594486549/ref=pd_sbs_14_56?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1594486549&pd_rd_r=fe7c0705-de56-49b8-ac06-ed7274aa63e2&pd_rd_w=In8TG&pd_rd_wg=399xi&pf_rd_p=d66372fe-68a6-48a3-90ec-41d7f64212be&pf_rd_r=5ERQ5AAJYSY3Y8Y8D2N0&psc=1&refRID=5ERQ5AAJYSY3Y8Y8D2N0

From the description:

"...San Francisco’s Laguna Honda Hospital is the last almshouse in the country, a descendant of the Hôtel-Dieu (God’s hotel) that cared for the sick in the Middle Ages. Ballet dancers and rock musicians, professors and thieves—“anyone who had fallen, or, often, leapt, onto hard times” and needed extended medical care—ended up here. "
     “Facilitated” - (rcareaga) - (7)
         definitely a public charge -NT - (boxley)
         Re: “Facilitated” - (pwhysall) - (3)
             Quite. - (static)
             Amen! - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                 Re: Amen! - (dmcarls)
         My brother is autistic. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Thanks for the Twitter link - (rcareaga)

Must be what keeps your hair up.
63 ms