IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Ordering it? had no such intention.. just a 'sample'-by-chance (seen ex-post-facto)
[EE hat-on] Until I hear a classier diagnosis: the beeps/other noises signalled even-moi that, this was: irregularly-irregular, indubitably signalled much-moar than 'an App gone all Orange'. That the usually rock-solid 'Coldish' re-boot' failed to cure made more evident that [The OS] itself was-STILL-bollixed despite: all experience of the Niceness of the "Save a mirror/regularly"--built. in.

Thus, whatever 'caused' the Colonel er. kernel to self-destruct, short of Colonel-panic: WAS not found/Noticed by the almost-bulletproof loading of that Image, STILL after thrice attempts: It ain't magic, but guts-level 'lectronics as seemed cause the clusterfuck. My mere/brief Cold-shutdown was Not Enough. (I should have unplugged for 10+ minutes in first place, but s l o w learner sometimes).

Capacitors store charges for t = a ƒ(the hi-Ω value) bleeder resistors decided on design. I know not just What-items on the mobo are Always Live (only presumably.. deadened via the unplug "for a trice"). I wonder if anyone here knows enough re the Electronics-within that mobo: just What is the e- diagram, the logical-flow-chart? of the Always-On pieces of this proprietary design, whose full schematic shall never reach our eye-pans. Anyway, my diagnosis fits the above; it worked and I see no cubic-closest-packed SImpler one; does anyone else?

tll;drr--unless it proves an intermittent-Thing--{worst-case for All troubleshooting, evah}--whence I get to really Test the postulate: it's a oddly-flaky component in AlwaysOn stuff or a fucking Cosmic-Ray Strike, for my money..

And I am unanimous in that. (Today) ..so if you Crash-off yer ailing iMac for whatever reason -- w a i t 10 -- make it fifteen even, if you want to cover all bases; Evidence! ... 1 datum. :-þ
Collapse Edited by Ashton Sept. 5, 2019, 07:17:16 PM EDT
Ordering it? had no such intention.. just a 'sample'-by-chance (seen ex-post-facto)
[EE hat-on] Until I hear a classier diagnosis: the beeps/other noises signalled even-moi that, this was: irregularly-irregular, indubitably signalled much-moar than 'an App gone all Orange'. That the usually rock-solid 'Coldish' re-boot' failed to cure made more evident that [The OS] itself was-STILL-bollixed despite: all experience of the Niceness of the "Save a mirror/regularly"--built. in.

Thus, whatever 'caused' the Colonel er. kernel to self-destruct, short of Colonel-panic: WAS not found/Noticed by the almost-bulletproof loading of that Image, STILL after thrice attempts: It ain't magic, but guts-level 'lectronics as seemed cause the clusterfuck. My mere/brief Cold-shutdown was Not Enough. (I should have unplugged for 10+ minutes in first place, but s l o w learner sometimes).

Capacitors store charges for t = a ƒ(the hi-Ω value) bleeder resistors decided on design. I know not just What-items on the mobo are Always Live (only presumably.. deadened via the unplug "for a trice"). I wonder if anyone here knows enough re the Electronics-within that mobo: just What is the e- diagram, the logical-flow-chart? of the Always-On pieces of this proprietary design, whose full schematic shall never reach our eye-pans. Anyway, my diagnosis fits the above; it worked and I see no cubic-closest-packed SImpler one; does anyone else?

tll;drr--unless it proves an intermittent-Thing--{worst-case for All troubleshooting, evah}--whence I get to really Test the postulate: it's a oddly-flaky component in AlwaysOn stuff or a fucking Cosmic-Ray Strike, for my money..

And I am unanimous in that. (Today)
New J's iMac died at work.
It has the symptoms of the CMOS battery being dead, or the graphics card failing. (She was able to order a faster replacement.)

She's still holding on to the dead one. Trouble is, getting at either the battery or graphics card basically means disassembling the whole thing. So, it's been on the "I'll get to it when I finish the other 30 things on my list" list.

Computers are pretty deterministic, at least on boot-up. If they can't get through that, then it's usually the CMOS battery, graphics card, and very rarely something else hardware wise. IME.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Good luck with that.
Ever since the sole access to anything other than the RAM slots entailed removing a screen with a replacement cost of £600+, held in position by some strong magnets, attached to the system board by a very fragile connector, I lost any enthusiasm I might have had for opening up an iMac.
     Latest Try-Linux gizmo, (maybe relevant to a "He's Dead, Jim" recent iMac event) - (Ashton) - (6)
         ROFL -NT - (boxley)
         Heh - (pwhysall) - (4)
             Still a good product idea though - (drook)
             Ordering it? had no such intention.. just a 'sample'-by-chance (seen ex-post-facto) - (Ashton) - (2)
                 J's iMac died at work. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Good luck with that. - (pwhysall)

Well, after thinking it over for a few hours, the toilet decided to work.
88 ms