IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 2 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Genetic legacies and growing older.
Migraines run in my family, and my father had a migraine-induced stroke when he was about my age. The cause was odd enough that he had a paper written about it by his doctor; that sort of stroke is typically only seen in women who smoke, drink, and take birth control pills.

My sister is prone to grand mal seizures in addition to the familial migraines.

I hit half a century earlier this year, which seems to have been a signal to my body to pull out all the stops and make me feel my age.

I've been suffering from chronic fatigue since last year (and other weird ailments for years). As it turns out, there's a very good chance that it's migraines all the way down, just nearly constant and low grade atypical ones without the actual headaches.

So I just had a 3-day EEG to make sure there's no actual seizure activity and, with any luck, the epileptologist will be able to prescribe me a prophylactic to give me back some bit of normalcy (health-wise, no help for the other kind). I was very much looking forward to the test as a final sort of "woo, found it!" thing, but as I sit here with a nasty headache and open pressure wounds in my scalp from the leads, I'm hoping it was worth the trouble.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New hope it is just annoyance and not serious!
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New At such times
it's never clear whether one's knowledge of Stats is a ..boon? or just another vicious nag ..by the unconscious or the monkey-mind.

Can send along --> hopes (which I experienced fulfilled) re the kidney-destruction of #1 Cat, Squeak via a Vet's overdose of a pernicious substance.. [Mentioned at the time] As his blood#s were all Off-scale: four other Vets.. each solemly replied, 'dead cat walking'. My orisons were, that since he had been through (unknowable travails) ere our meeting, I Wanted him to have a few months of normalcy, First. (aka, not-about-Me).
In fact: he Got not a few.. but near a Year of just that, against those odds, distressed only in ~last week or so, as the inevitable loomed. (This Save via the Mfg.), their realizing how many hubristic Vets would not Read their perfectly clear warning--thus: a kind of sub-cutaneous "washing" left a few cells alive; it worked.

Luck sent, maybe 'Hope' can be transferable (some - How? :-)
Your Search chops have to exceed those of even the more-ept Medicos extant; maybe they had a semester?
Expand Edited by Ashton Aug. 30, 2019, 06:47:09 PM EDT
New Getting old is better than the alternative! :)
These things tend to creep up on us.

My wife has just gone through a scare. She was about to go through a stage of a dental implant operation which is the removal of the old tooth and then doing a bone graft to build up a bone base to eventually receive a titanium post which will then get a crown. Anyway, the dental surgeon after measuring her blood pressure several times over half an hour refused to proceed until it is treated. Now, the wife is a "nervous Nellie", so the "white coat syndrome" is a factor, but the hypertension problem is real. So now, her doctor is establishing the level of drug she needs to her blood pressure to a reasonable level.

At home, we are trying hard to use the DASH diet and modify the lifestyle to address the conditions and habits that lead to hypertension.

Hypertension is the silent killer. When it becomes obvious, it may very well be too late.

But, for you, I would suggest getting a good blood pressure monitor, particularly one that remembers prior measurements and could be connected to a computer so you can have a record.

Hypertension is a reflection of how well the arteries are working and affects not only heart muscles with potential heart attacks, the brain with potential strokes, the eyes with damage to tiny blood vessels that feed the eye and also the optic nerve, and of course damage to the kidneys that need to keep the blood clean. It's way more complicated than I said or understand, but you get the idea.

Genetics are a factor for sure, but a lot depends on what you do. Good luck!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Re: Getting old is better than the alternative! :)
Lot of people say that but nobody says who told them...
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New dental implants /me shivers no thanks
anyway people now think that I used to play hockey
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New BP, oh so fun
Mine was eye bleed level about 15 years ago, been on metoprolol since. Went to the oral surgeon a couple of years ago and he said the same. I told him to up the metoprolol during the procedure, and he did.

The key issue is that the local anesthetic they use contains some type of speed to clamp down on the bleeding, which can lead to stroke if you have high BP.
New Sucks. Be well.
New Forgot to mention:
I'm going to be getting a 2-4 week EKG as well to check for things like arrhythmias that can also cause that sort of fatigue.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Stress can do that to you.
Arrhythmia that is.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     Genetic legacies and growing older. - (malraux) - (9)
         hope it is just annoyance and not serious! -NT - (boxley)
         At such times - (Ashton)
         Getting old is better than the alternative! :) - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
             Re: Getting old is better than the alternative! :) - (hnick)
             dental implants /me shivers no thanks - (boxley)
             BP, oh so fun - (crazy)
         Sucks. Be well. -NT - (pwhysall)
         Forgot to mention: - (malraux) - (1)
             Stress can do that to you. - (a6l6e6x)

I hope you don't mind if I don't read this. I don't know if it's going where I don't want it to be going, but if it is going there, I *don't* want to go there, so the best place for me to be is here, not there, and here is where I'm staying.
*puts on blinders*
*whistles very loudly*
*claws out own eyes*
52 ms