1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I take it you're not a sailor man?
New he might have a squinky eye
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Popeye and Spinach
The reputation ffor Spinach being very high in iron stems from an early nutritional analyst misplacing a decimal point. It took an amazing number of years for this to be noticed and corrected. Spinach is high in iron - but only 1/10th the iron given in that analysis. By this time, Popeye and his spinach habit were well entrenched.
New Indeed; in space-flight a decimal-point error could ..well, you know. Powerful, that tiny dot[.]
(Some people invest whole lives in ..moving it ever Right-wards; then the spouse leaves).

Heard about that error.. only hearsay that in some bodies Ferrum must be a controlled-substance (and the warning will be in Latin; makes it impressive).

Worse re bikes: you think you can buy that Shadow? and.. nope, ya could afford only a 1939 Calthorpe with one anemic cylinder /damn Banksters!
New Just remember to cook it
"Spinach is a source of non-heme iron, which is found in vegetable sources. Non-heme iron is not as bioavailable to the body as the heme iron found in animal products. Raw spinach contains an inhibitor called oxalic acid or oxalate. Oxalic acid naturally binds with minerals like calcium and iron, making them harder for the body to absorb. Cooking spinach can help unlock these iron absorption inhibitors and hence increase iron bioavailability. In other words, cooking spinach helps make iron more available to your body."

https://www.healthcastle.com/spinach-good-source-iron-cooked-better-raw/

So much for salad!
New So, folks with hemochromatosis . . .
. . should eat their spinach raw - keeps down the number of bleedings they must endure to reduce iron in the blood.

Fortunately for the rest of us, hemochromatosis is hereditary and we can't catch it.
New Well, darn!
Most of the spinach I consume (along with fruit and Greek yogurt) comes in the form of smoothies that my wife makes. I don't believe spinach puree is equivalent to cooked spinach.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Not unless you puree it on *really* high speed
--

Drew
New Umm, acquainted.. Think I liked Bluto ..world's most inept bully? (Well, before ____ )
     Germans and Vegetables - (Andrew Grygus) - (11)
         yup they love both kinds, roots and cabages -NT - (boxley)
         Thanks for the back-story - (Ashton) - (9)
             I take it you're not a sailor man? -NT - (scoenye) - (8)
                 he might have a squinky eye -NT - (boxley)
                 Popeye and Spinach - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                     Indeed; in space-flight a decimal-point error could ..well, you know. Powerful, that tiny dot[.] - (Ashton)
                     Just remember to cook it - (dmcarls) - (3)
                         So, folks with hemochromatosis . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                         Well, darn! - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                             Not unless you puree it on *really* high speed -NT - (drook)
                 Umm, acquainted.. Think I liked Bluto ..world's most inept bully? (Well, before ____ ) -NT - (Ashton)

Absorbant and yellow and porous is he!
124 ms