IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It ain’t easy being Greenland
OK, thought experiment here. I acknowledge at the outset that the scenario I advance is implausible, but we’ve endured thirty-two months of surreal politics foreign and domestic, so bear with me: the short-fingered vulgarian has apparently been fixated for several weeks, long enough that his retainers haven’t contrived to distract him with some other shiny object, on the notion of acquiring Greenland. Greenland??

Denmark, apparently, is not interested in selling, and Greenland’s inhabitants are not known to have evinced any interest in becoming a Trump-branded property, although I daresay that among them there may be some who, for the right price, would endorse the notion, rather like ethnic Russians in the Eastern Ukraine yearning for Putin’s embrace.

Suppose then that, in despite of his handlers’ best efforts, the short-fingered vulgarian won’t let this go? He rage-tweets for a week, and the “base,” comprising several millions of our compatriots, join in the cry: “We want Greenland, we need Greenland, we deserve Greenland!” What then? The God-Emperor decrees that our possession of Greenland is a matter of national security—we cannot survive without it—and orders the military to seize the island, which would actually be an easier objective than any aggression we’ve essayed since Grenada. What would the Pentagon do? Stall, of course, but Trump’s sycophants would bay, each louder than the other, for action. Disobey outright? Hardly. Resign on principle? Ambitious and cynical underlings would readily be found to advance to the Joint Chiefs and order the troops deployed.

So we move to occupy Greenland (obviously without a peep of objection, the odd furrowed brow apart, from the Senate), and tell the UN, Denmark presumably having protested, “fuck you (en).” What happens next? Russia annexes Norway, I imagine, and China moves on Taiwan. Good times!

Again, mere speculation. But we need to reposition this country to a point at which such speculation is utterly implausible.

cordially,
New Heh.. having taken stabs at comparing 2019 to historical clusterfucks
and failed--having found nothing in sci-fi, comics!, Greeks-past ...ponderous tomes, to compare.
Could it be that all of our [local] brain-pans have been altered by 'growing up' in a place now manifestly growing-down, such that we cannot 'realize' that we have been suffused-within a perpetual Gobsmacked-state?

Those of us who have Loved-language (some unto its very type-styles) are, I believe, those most sensitive to the Scale of what has occurred within these Three Years. Such a horrible Way of having realized that, Mankind lacks Scale and Relativity (and various other aged koans): this one surely vets-Itself whilst imparting as Fact, that we now inhabit [Science/MO on] far more than the "irregularly-Irregular" [/Science].

I find a certain futility in extrapolating-via-Confucius's immortal quip--that such dissembling has already rendered Language so corrupted as to nullify all 'communications' with black-noise.
Only one skit comes close: in a Star-Trek episode wherein (Patrick Stewart) teaches self to communicate with a species which communicates via Metaphor-ONLY.

I no words.
But believe I faintly-hear sounds of jack-booted feet in a final scenario: going out with a whimper needs no words at all. I shall endeavor to maintain equanimity as that coin--flipped up to just-below-orbit--decides it all.
(That cats et alia were included, all-innocently, Will amplify the discussion in any afterlife) er, sans oblivion.
Expand Edited by Ashton Aug. 18, 2019, 09:42:06 PM EDT
New Cheery-LRPD opines: We do, after all, survive every moment... except the last.
New "Hey... Pong. My parents played this game."
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Yabut.. then, they didn't use people-as-paddles, amiright?
New Well, there's already the Thule Air Base.
And during WW-II US took over Iceland at least for a while.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Nonsense. The USA has never been an imperialistic power. ;0)
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New To be sure.. it jes like bad-mouthing the UK!
Shoo-in for 2019 Dark/Grammy awards?

Sometimes Ah Feels Lak a Motherfucker-less Child
New Annals of “wish I’d said that”
Dana Milbank in the WaPo today: “Greenland has no regular military, so we should be able to occupy every Nuuk and cranny of the place without much struggle.”

83°40' or fight!
New :) !
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Looks like you were spot on
On to stage two we go...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49416740
based on Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen's comments, that she would have no interest in discussing the purchase of Greenland, I will be postponing our meeting scheduled in two weeks for another time....

and here come the minions
Republican Representative Mike Gallagher described Mr Trump's idea as a "smart geopolitical move".
New Irresponsible conjecture
It was the Danes called off the meeting after they ran a credit check.

cordially,
New ++
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New What?! Deutsche Bank won't cover this?
New They’re not letting go of this
Evil Arkansas Republican Senator—but I repeat myself—Tom Cotton doubles down in the NYT today:
After news leaked last week that President Trump had expressed interest in acquiring Greenland from Denmark, his critics predictably derided him as crazy. But once again, the president is crazy like a fox. The acquisition of Greenland would secure vital strategic interests for the United States, economically benefit both us and Greenlanders, and would be in keeping with American—and Danish—diplomatic traditions.
C’mon, you pastry-munching pussies. You yielded up your Virginity a century ago.
Beijing understands not only Greenland’s geographic importance but also its economic potential. Greenland is rich in a wide array of mineral deposits, including rare-earth minerals—resources critical to our high-tech and defense industries. China currently dominates the market in these minerals and has threatened to withhold them from us to gain leverage in trade negotiations. Greenland also possesses untold reserves of oil and natural gas.
Greenland also possesses untold reserves of oil and natural gas. And they’re just sitting there!
An agreement to transfer Greenland’s sovereignty must also serve the interests of our good friends, the Danes, and the 56,000 Greenlanders as well.
Wait, I’ll come in again.
Our nation has much to gain, as do the Danes and Greenlanders. While there are short-term obstacles, the same benefits could apply for Greenland today—and the manifest logic of this idea means that its consideration is here to stay.
You’ll want to take this offer. You might not like our next one.

cordially,
Expand Edited by rcareaga Aug. 26, 2019, 02:10:33 PM EDT
New I've apologized for not voting for Hillary enough already.
Now allow me to apologize, even more strongly, for ever defending anything about the South.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Re: I've apologized for not voting for Hillary enough already.
Now allow me to apologize, even more strongly, for ever defending anything about the South.
Your proposal is acceptable. Go, and sin no more. Incidentally, guess who’s apparently contemplating a run for the Arkansas governorship?

cordially,
New So Huckabee wants to be governor in drag now?
I don't ever remember seeing Mike and Sarah at the same time.
bcnu,
Mikem

It ain’t easy being Greenland - (rcareaga) - (17)
         Heh.. having taken stabs at comparing 2019 to historical clusterfucks - (Ashton) - (3)
             Cheery-LRPD opines: We do, after all, survive every moment... except the last. -NT - (Ashton)
             "Hey... Pong. My parents played this game." -NT - (malraux) - (1)
                 Yabut.. then, they didn't use people-as-paddles, amiright? -NT - (Ashton)
         Well, there's already the Thule Air Base. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             Nonsense. The USA has never been an imperialistic power. ;0) -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                 To be sure.. it jes like bad-mouthing the UK! - (Ashton)
         Annals of “wish I’d said that” - (rcareaga) - (1)
             :) ! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Looks like you were spot on - (scoenye) - (3)
             Irresponsible conjecture - (rcareaga) - (2)
                 ++ -NT - (boxley)
                 What?! Deutsche Bank won't cover this? -NT - (scoenye)
         They’re not letting go of this - (rcareaga) - (3)
             I've apologized for not voting for Hillary enough already. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                 Re: I've apologized for not voting for Hillary enough already. - (rcareaga) - (1)
                     So Huckabee wants to be governor in drag now? - (mmoffitt)

My line is so beating the heck out of your stupid line. Fear my pink line. You have no chance. I am the undisputed lord of virtual tennis.
147 ms