IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The high cost of remaining the same
So Yves posted today :

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2019/08/who-will-pay-for-the-huge-costs-of-holding-back-rising-seas.html

We really don't have a good record so far:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_River_Control_Structure

>>..." The Corps completed construction on the Old River Control Structure in 1963 to prevent the main channel flow of the Mississippi River from altering its current course to the Gulf of Mexico through the natural geologic process of avulsion. Historically, this natural process has occurred about every 1,000 years, and is overdue.

Avulsion! Whoodathunk?

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/04/01/louisianas-disappearing-coast

As for the future, well...

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/miami-faces-an-underwater-future

What's in your wallet?
New in my wallet? A card:
Please strew my cremains over the tombstone of D.J.Trump

OK.. it's a Start --->
New mine are going to pollute the gulf of mexico
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New And the piss on them so they don't blow away? :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New ..might add that as a codicil.
New Pithy--while Awful--collection; thanks for the delving..
Commonalty is unsurprising, in those four links describing that scary-Future:

1) The technical (+ others like innumeracy!) illiteracy of some majority of "Solons".
2) The fact that such Facts are inaccessible to the vox populi of the class which moves lips when reading.
3) This regardless of 2) ...there's sufficient evidence that very-Many resemble The Illiterate-Commander/Chief re reading much of anything.

All-in-all, we'unses here can grok these generally pellucid strings-of-factoids adequately. And are willing to read them. I don't even want to imagineer ... ...

the massive-interactions of not-quite-'countless--but close' individual-tasks: needing the savviest-Triage in History:
for this species to most efficiently! proceed with changes whch alter/negate centuries of folkways/mores
--all of these also dependent upon the 'spirit' of say, DISASTER CAPITALISM:
so often the sole-identifiable er, Raision d'Etre? of so large a psrt of said vox populi. [Hell of a Pedigree]

This last, especially: as we now have titanium-clad-Evidence of: the Utter immorality/insanity of very many of the Overseers who would have to work
so uncharacteristically: doggedly, seamlessly and effectively. ever to Save Our Asses.

Natch, I shall join those who begin shovelling away this Petroleum-Nuke against the tide. To just give-up on (whatever holds true in above matters) is to be an Imbecile, as pernicious as The Menace. This despite already peeping at the probability of Billions of people fleeing their over-Heated or -Watered lands no longer able to sustain even the basics of a functioning local-System for food and all-the-necessities. This spectre is of course about exponential rises caused by intentional Denial on n-levels: as we speak.

[Ineluctable though (!) is all life-experience behind the most depressing aspect of It-all]: that collectively, we seem most likely to observe, day-by-day: a %Large of our fellow inmates behavinng as full-on, gene-carrying Descendants--not merely of Puritans and Slavers, but as:

The. Eloi.

PS: Holding forth just now on npr (noting his Chops below) is Dr. Cornel West:

Commonwealth Club

An Evening with Dr. Cornel West
Dr. Cornel West says his passion is to keep alive the legacy of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.—a legacy of telling the truth and bearing witness to love and justice. In addition to his posts at Harvard and Princeton, West has taught at Union Theological Seminary, Yale and the University of Paris. He graduated Magna Cum Laude from Harvard in three years and obtained his master’s and doctorate in philosophy at Princeton.

Sheryl Davis is the executive director of the San Francisco Human Rights Commission (HRC), a city agency mandated to address the causes of and problems resulting from prejudice, intolerance, bigotry and discrimination in San Francisco. Davis previously served as commissioner from 2011 to 2016, including a tenure as vice chair of the commission. Prior to her work with the HRC, she was the executive director of Collective Impact, a community-based organization in the Western Addition neighborhood of San Francisco.

In a polarized country, with issues of voter disenfranchisement, police shootings of unarmed African-Americans and discussions of reparations at the forefront, our guests will explore the possibilities for improved life outcomes and opportunities for black people, particularly in cities such as San Francisco as the wealth gap continues to swell.

In commemoration of the 55th anniversary of the HRC, created in response to antiblack racism in businesses, government services and community investments, join us for a conversation with one of the nation’s most prominent and provocative civil rights champions about America’s (and San Francisco’s) present and future racial equity.

..it's not just about the entire 400 Years since the first Slaves became nascent-'Murican Profit-centers ..and like that. His language chops derive from wide/deep observation and
an intolerance for the shallow-in-all forms. I wot.
(re Lindsey Graham's recent bloviation: "A cartoon! Donald Duck version of Joseph McCarthy")

{sigh} Carrion.
Expand Edited by Ashton Aug. 17, 2019, 04:19:17 AM EDT
     The high cost of remaining the same - (dmcarls) - (5)
         in my wallet? A card: - (Ashton) - (3)
             mine are going to pollute the gulf of mexico -NT - (boxley)
             And the piss on them so they don't blow away? :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                 ..might add that as a codicil. -NT - (Ashton)
         Pithy--while Awful--collection; thanks for the delving.. - (Ashton)

They both savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things.
55 ms