IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New that's a big number

The massive heat dome that shattered all-time temperature records across much of Europe last week has settled in over Greenland, driving temperatures across the vast region to as much as 30 degrees Fahrenheit above normal. In July, Greenland’s ice sheet lost 197 billion tons of ice, the equivalent of around 80 million Olympic swimming pools. This comes as the World Meteorological Organization said Thursday that July was the warmest month in recorded human history. It followed the hottest June on record, as atmospheric carbon dioxide levels climbed to a record high of 415 parts per million earlier this year.

https://truthout.org/video/in-july-greenland-lost-80-million-olympic-swimming-pools-worth-of-ice/

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar" 1897
New Need a better reference
I can't visualize 80 million pools.
--

Drew
New Good problem:
1) Visualize 10 of these, stacked on long-side
2) Then, noting #-sq. ft. (or meters) multiply above for area of the 800
3) Multiply that area by 100K
4) Convert to sq. miles

Cut out That humongo-number as a square; place square over a (suitably copacetic-Scale) U.S. map
(Centered on your village?)

Done ;^>
New If 1 ton = 1 dollar, a little over a quarter of the US Military budget.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Can you picture 1/20, i.e. 0.05, mm?
That's the rise in sea level world wide.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New is that low or high tide?
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Both higher!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     that's a big number - (lincoln) - (6)
         Need a better reference - (drook) - (2)
             Good problem: - (Ashton)
             If 1 ton = 1 dollar, a little over a quarter of the US Military budget. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Can you picture 1/20, i.e. 0.05, mm? - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             is that low or high tide? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 Both higher! -NT - (a6l6e6x)

Particularly fine on the conical-bore cornet.
90 ms