IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Peter or other recent visitors to the UK
seeing that the pound is trading at 1.20USD thinkin about a quick trip to Newcastle. Is the trade in pounds euros or both? looked at yelp and a few restaurants didnt look too far out of line for a middle class meal. Hotels looked arount $95 USD and a beer is about 1.5 quid with ciggies around $10 USD. Are these reasonable assumptions?
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Re: Peter or other recent visitors to the UK
In Newcastle, you will transact in pounds. Possibly some of the airport hotels/restaurants will trade in euros. Not in town, though.

Beer: £3/pint is median-ish (that's pub pricing, it'll be more in restaurants)

Fags: £10/pack of 20. Note that all fags in the UK are in unbranded packaging, with pictures of terrible smoking-related diseases on them.

Hotel: I'd go for a Premier Inn. Not posh, but super-consistent. £95 does sound like the low end in holiday season, though.
New My visit was September, 2017.
We were there for a couple of weeks and had originally planned to visit Ireland for a day or two, so I bought some Euros. I'd defer to Peter on this, but on two occasions during my trip, I inadvertently grabbed some of the Euros instead of pounds before I headed out to the pub. Both times the pub landlords laughed at me when I pulled them out and said, "We don't take that rubbish here." I did the same thing once when boarding a bus and got the same reaction. Unless you're planning to head over to France or Ireland, I'd skip Euros altogether.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New The Euro isn't actually legal tender in the UK
Any establishment is, of course, free to accept any currency it chooses - but the only mandated currency here is Her Imperial Majesty's Pound Sterling.
New the reason I asked about the euro is that some websites published their pricing in that denomination
and if I went it would be straight to newcastle with a side visit to stockton
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New I'm thinking about buying some BPS and holding on to them.
Of course, I'm not sure it's hit bottom yet. ;0(
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New (Recall though, ya needn't bring any coal ..I've heard somewhere :-)
New That's for continentals visiting and paying in advance via bank transfer.
Or on-site via credit/debit card. Doesn't matter to the business what the customers think they're paying in, it'll show up in the recipient's bank account in pounds (unless it's connected directly to Switzerland or some other tax haven, I guess). Mostly just an FYI for those who don't think in Sterling.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who (used to think he) Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
     Peter or other recent visitors to the UK - (boxley) - (7)
         Re: Peter or other recent visitors to the UK - (pwhysall)
         My visit was September, 2017. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
             The Euro isn't actually legal tender in the UK - (pwhysall) - (4)
                 the reason I asked about the euro is that some websites published their pricing in that denomination - (boxley) - (3)
                     I'm thinking about buying some BPS and holding on to them. - (mmoffitt)
                     (Recall though, ya needn't bring any coal ..I've heard somewhere :-) -NT - (Ashton)
                     That's for continentals visiting and paying in advance via bank transfer. - (CRConrad)

I never trusted P.E. teachers, I'll tell you that.
75 ms