IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New for Mike: UK Cessna; pilot dies; non-pilot radios Mayday ... had never aviated ..Suspense
(Oh. And. it was then dark, the runway-into-wind unlighted.. ...)

This just came up via YewTube's intrusive-AI (after unrelated flic.)

The (77 yo! IIRC) guy's calm plus wry-humour endears, ramps up empathy as the [???]
nail-biting denouement looms.
New Thanks. That is a new level of "Keep Calm and Carry On" innit?
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Yabut mayhap that framing is a bit Unixy..? :-þ
Besides.. what sorta aereo-port ain't got Lights on all runways; wind happens in the dark, too..
'Cost' dinna cut-it--why Locals not complain? {sigh} ... I thought AOPA had chops!

Oh wait: this was in Blighty, know nada about their Pilot-politicking.
Wondered too: that panel of light-switches he was sent to:
how's come the Cessna seemed not to have landing lights [on]?

Anyway {{whew!}} Should I be over the Pennines w/ a local pilot with bad-ticker,
shall remember to bring along a million-lumen flashlight. Maybe parachute?
Expand Edited by Ashton July 7, 2019, 09:31:31 PM EDT
New Make sure it's a Red flashlight.
White light will blind you in the cockpit. Depending on the age of the Cessna, the "panel light" might be located where an old car's dome light is and it projects red light so as not to destroy night vision. You typically only turn on the landing light right before landing as you enter the pattern and you have it on for take-off, turning it off as soon as you get 800 feet off the ground or so. There's no hard rule about it and if there's a lot of traffic I'll usually leave it on until I'm completely out of the airport's airspace.

In the States most small GA airports have what is called PCL (Pilot Controlled Lighting). You tune into the airports Common Traffic frequency, click your mic switch 7 times rapidly and the runway lights come up at high intensity. If you're ever out driving around in the country at night and you see a small airport's lights come on that doesn't mean somebody's getting ready to land. Some pilots will turn on the runway lights to verify they know where they are whilst cruising.

The only thing I know about GA in Britain is that compared to here it is *HUGELY* expensive. If I want to go practice take-offs and landings, I can either do that at my home field or I can do what I normally do - fly to five or six airports for touch and go's and then back home for several to full stop. Doesn't cost me anything but the cost of flying the plane. However, in Britain you *pay a fee* for each landing. A few years back a Brit was visiting our field and after having learned that it doesn't cost anything to land at a rural GA airport exclaimed, "No wonder you are so much better at landing than we are!"
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Thanks.. useful dope, added-to-list.
     for Mike: UK Cessna; pilot dies; non-pilot radios Mayday ... had never aviated ..Suspense - (Ashton) - (4)
         Thanks. That is a new level of "Keep Calm and Carry On" innit? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (3)
             Yabut mayhap that framing is a bit Unixy..? :-þ - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Make sure it's a Red flashlight. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                     Thanks.. useful dope, added-to-list. -NT - (Ashton)

Fall not in love therefore; it will stick to your face.
207 ms