IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I was neck-deep in politics in the mid 1970's.
My first paying job was in 1975 as a DNC Deputy Registrar. Funny that. I could register people to vote but could not vote myself until two years later. Late that summer we had a bunch of college kids come in for jobs as Deputy Registrars. We'd print out these precinct maps, drive a van load of them over and go door-to-door knocking and asking if anyone would like to register to vote. Although I was just 16, I came up with my own "dirty trick" that worked remarkably well. I was salaried, but these college kids weren't and there were great discussions over how to pay them. I suggested the plan that was ultimately implemented. It was (and most likely is) illegal to refuse to register someone based upon party affiliation. You can't refuse to register anyone simply because they want to register as a Republican. So, I got an idea and pitched it to my superiors. I'd already developed a patter that I used that went something like, "Hello. I am a Democratic Voting Registration Deputy Registrar. Are there any unregistered Democrats here who would like to register now?" Only occasionally someone would say, "No. But there are unregistered Republicans here who'd like to register." I would then say, "Oh. Well, I work for the Democratic Party and I can certainly register you, but I only have information on Democratic candidates. I'm sure the Republican Party will be sending out people to register you so if you'd prefer to wait until a Republican registrar comes around, you're certainly entitled to do that." It never failed. They never wanted to register with me and, most importantly, I did not break the law. Of course, I knew the Republicans had no such Voter Registration effort, but my conscience was and is clear.

When my superiors heard what I was saying to people, they checked with legal and got the okie-doke. So, I said, why don't we pay the college kids 50 cents for each registered Democrat, nothing for each registered Independent and deduct 25 cents for each registered Republican? I think those numbers are right, that's as best I recall. All I can say for sure is they got paid for Democrats, fined for Republicans and weren't paid for Independents.

After that I worked for Congressman Mark Hannaford's (D) campaign, then Jimmy Carter's and actually got to meet Jimmy and Rosalyn at LAX when they came in.

I fully remember Joe Biden from those days and I was not a fan. I started to reconsider my view of him in the 1980's when he was running for President. But then, true to his form, he plagiarized Neil Kinnock's speech and I was done with him a second time. I'm leaning Liz right now. All of that said, however, if the groping, plagiarizing, NIMBY Biden is the Democratic nominee, I won't hold my nose, I'll vomit and vote for him in the general.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Thanks for the stories.
Sneaky devil, weren't you?

:-)

I'm leaning the same way (horror!), but i really, really want us to take the Senate...

Cheers,
Scott.
New Agreed. The Senate is key.
If we get the Senate, I only hope there aren't too many Sam Nunn type Democrats in the chamber.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Damn! ..you may be a mere-'mathematician' but .... (plagiarizing): ... [I Kid!]
but ya gots yer head screwed-on ~ Right (er Left..) OK sanely. That was a bitchin' piece of a truly-constructive bit of Practical Sophistry, beatin all-hollow the typ. Repo formulae
[Just Lie A Lot and pretend ya didn't Know that killing-babies be Illegal [Out of Season.]

Luck to us all.. we Lose? then: It's the Last Election for the duration... The bottomless Chasm
     Biden's segregation actions were not just about 'civility' - (Ashton) - (9)
         I was neck-deep in politics in the mid 1970's. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
             Thanks for the stories. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Agreed. The Senate is key. - (mmoffitt)
             Damn! ..you may be a mere-'mathematician' but .... (plagiarizing): ... [I Kid!] - (Ashton)
         "The perfect is the enemy of the good." - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
             Thanks for reminding of the Rock/Hard-place underlying ~every Pol. - (Ashton)
             But when he's booted out of the nominations, you'll still vote for the Warren-Harris ticket, right? -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                 You Debbil, you.. -NT - (Ashton)
         (As via Kozol's Facts) it's looking like Biden--who never apologizes for pas inanities--will see - (Ashton)

I expected him to strike up a game of chess with Satan and start muttering about strawberries.
103 ms