IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Biden's segregation actions were not just about 'civility'
Democracy Now Jonatan Kozol/book.

Jonathan Kozol: Joe Biden Didn’t Just Praise Segregationists. He Also Spent Years Fighting Busing
[. . .]
Last week, Biden made headlines when he fondly reminisced about his “civil” relationship in the '70s and ’80s with segregationist senators James Eastland of Mississippi and Herman Talmadge of Georgia. Biden reportedly said, quote, “I was in a caucus with James O. Eastland. … He never called me ’boy'; he called me 'son.'”
[. . .]
While Biden’s recent comments made the news, far less attention has been paid to the former vice president’s actual record. In the 1970s, then-Senator Biden was a fierce critic of Delaware’s attempts to bus students in an effort to integrate its schools. In a recently unearthed interview from 1975, Biden said, quote, “We’ve lost our bearings since the 1954 Brown v. School Board desegregation case. … To 'desegregate' is different than to 'integrate.'” He went on to say, quote, “The real problem with busing is that you take [white] people who aren’t racist, people who are good citizens, who believe in equal education and opportunity, and you stunt their children’s intellectual growth by busing them to an inferior school,” unquote. CNN recently revealed that in 1977 Biden wrote a letter to the segregationist Senator James Eastland thanking him for supporting his anti-busing legislation.
[. . .]
Last week, he said he has no apologies. And the media has quoted him repeatedly saying, “I’ve been involved with civil rights my whole career.” But this is simply—I don’t know how to word this politely, but this is simply not the truth. To the extent that he’s been involved in civil rights, it hasn’t been as an advocate. It’s been as an opponent. And, you know, like other careful centrists, Biden threads the needle on the subject of diversity by saying that he favors it in principle; he simply opposes the only way in which to make it possible. In a nation in which residential segregation and redlining on the part of banks and mortgage lending institutions remain absolutely unabated, Biden knows absolutely well—he has to know—that by opposing the use of transportation, he’s making school integration virtually impossible.
[. . .]

Bolded: umm, why Was That? umm if their schools Were 'inferior' ... w.t.f. were you doing about That? Mr. Dixie-crat.

Then there's this by Ta-Nehisi Coates fwiw.

(I wasn't assiduously following Pol-utterances in the mid-70s); let us be thankful that that Gutenberg guy came up with an aid for us non-eidetic folk.
Wondering.. what the rate-of-exposure is apt to be? following ..this first Uncomfortable, Look--> [Here!]
Expand Edited by Ashton June 26, 2019, 04:21:13 AM EDT
New I was neck-deep in politics in the mid 1970's.
My first paying job was in 1975 as a DNC Deputy Registrar. Funny that. I could register people to vote but could not vote myself until two years later. Late that summer we had a bunch of college kids come in for jobs as Deputy Registrars. We'd print out these precinct maps, drive a van load of them over and go door-to-door knocking and asking if anyone would like to register to vote. Although I was just 16, I came up with my own "dirty trick" that worked remarkably well. I was salaried, but these college kids weren't and there were great discussions over how to pay them. I suggested the plan that was ultimately implemented. It was (and most likely is) illegal to refuse to register someone based upon party affiliation. You can't refuse to register anyone simply because they want to register as a Republican. So, I got an idea and pitched it to my superiors. I'd already developed a patter that I used that went something like, "Hello. I am a Democratic Voting Registration Deputy Registrar. Are there any unregistered Democrats here who would like to register now?" Only occasionally someone would say, "No. But there are unregistered Republicans here who'd like to register." I would then say, "Oh. Well, I work for the Democratic Party and I can certainly register you, but I only have information on Democratic candidates. I'm sure the Republican Party will be sending out people to register you so if you'd prefer to wait until a Republican registrar comes around, you're certainly entitled to do that." It never failed. They never wanted to register with me and, most importantly, I did not break the law. Of course, I knew the Republicans had no such Voter Registration effort, but my conscience was and is clear.

When my superiors heard what I was saying to people, they checked with legal and got the okie-doke. So, I said, why don't we pay the college kids 50 cents for each registered Democrat, nothing for each registered Independent and deduct 25 cents for each registered Republican? I think those numbers are right, that's as best I recall. All I can say for sure is they got paid for Democrats, fined for Republicans and weren't paid for Independents.

After that I worked for Congressman Mark Hannaford's (D) campaign, then Jimmy Carter's and actually got to meet Jimmy and Rosalyn at LAX when they came in.

I fully remember Joe Biden from those days and I was not a fan. I started to reconsider my view of him in the 1980's when he was running for President. But then, true to his form, he plagiarized Neil Kinnock's speech and I was done with him a second time. I'm leaning Liz right now. All of that said, however, if the groping, plagiarizing, NIMBY Biden is the Democratic nominee, I won't hold my nose, I'll vomit and vote for him in the general.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Thanks for the stories.
Sneaky devil, weren't you?

:-)

I'm leaning the same way (horror!), but i really, really want us to take the Senate...

Cheers,
Scott.
New Agreed. The Senate is key.
If we get the Senate, I only hope there aren't too many Sam Nunn type Democrats in the chamber.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Damn! ..you may be a mere-'mathematician' but .... (plagiarizing): ... [I Kid!]
but ya gots yer head screwed-on ~ Right (er Left..) OK sanely. That was a bitchin' piece of a truly-constructive bit of Practical Sophistry, beatin all-hollow the typ. Repo formulae
[Just Lie A Lot and pretend ya didn't Know that killing-babies be Illegal [Out of Season.]

Luck to us all.. we Lose? then: It's the Last Election for the duration... The bottomless Chasm
New "The perfect is the enemy of the good."
Joe was firmly for desegregation, but his constituents in Delaware were not happy with the idea of busing. Politicians early in their career worry about getting re-elected and he gave in to their pressure. But, I believe he has evolved in showing more leadership. Certainly he has had a lot of support from the older black politicians who know him well.

Before I moved to Charlotte in 1979 (at IBM's expense), I was well aware of the federal courts forcing Charlotte's public schools to use busing to desegregate the schools. To avoid "white flight" to the suburbs, the schools system became a county system and busing was to be used have all schools reflect the population mix. The "white flight" was to private schools mostly church related. (That shows you where racism lives.)

Busing was in place close to a decade when we arrived. My youngest was in elementary school and bused several miles to West Charlotte. My wife had volunteered to help out at the school to be satisfied that things were done right.

The older two kids went to a South Charlotte high school where blacks were bused from West Charlotte. Both of them were bright students and took many AP (Advanced Placement) courses which had fewer blacks and more Asian students. One could argue that AP classes are an in-school discrimination.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Thanks for reminding of the Rock/Hard-place underlying ~every Pol.
Hope you're right and that Joe's horizons have widened ... enough. There's reason-enough for my vote--in the end--in your Title. But..
... this Year-in-Advance pre-election overload (because The Menace began his re-election campaign in Jan. 2017) Sucks so much that I hope for some Statute on the matter; I mean:

Look how long Blighty 'allows'. as-in-{sheesh}

Ever since the Twitter machine + The square-mouthed Toddler never stopped flapping that opening: I believe that the National-IQ has dropped measurably {PhD thesis in there somewhere).
New But when he's booted out of the nominations, you'll still vote for the Warren-Harris ticket, right?
New You Debbil, you..
New (As via Kozol's Facts) it's looking like Biden--who never apologizes for pas inanities--will see
this particular Fact-in-your-Face .. not. going. away. ie Bald-faced-lie.
(It's also Baa-ck on Democ. Now ..with added momentum after the Repo-USSC's utter-BS re "its Constitutional Right" to address Gerrymandering: surely the most frequent Cause of Voting-not-working. (Methinks that Right IS enshrined in that malleable-Document by any analysis possible.)

We'll see.. what Legs this Gotcha! has.. if it's a centipede, well __
Seventeen Months ... ... Hurry Up! and get that burger/fries coronary-already!
     Biden's segregation actions were not just about 'civility' - (Ashton) - (9)
         I was neck-deep in politics in the mid 1970's. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
             Thanks for the stories. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Agreed. The Senate is key. - (mmoffitt)
             Damn! ..you may be a mere-'mathematician' but .... (plagiarizing): ... [I Kid!] - (Ashton)
         "The perfect is the enemy of the good." - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
             Thanks for reminding of the Rock/Hard-place underlying ~every Pol. - (Ashton)
             But when he's booted out of the nominations, you'll still vote for the Warren-Harris ticket, right? -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                 You Debbil, you.. -NT - (Ashton)
         (As via Kozol's Facts) it's looking like Biden--who never apologizes for pas inanities--will see - (Ashton)

Enjoy your amazement.
96 ms