IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New That's a trailing pachyderm.
Rear elephant, iow.

While I'll grant you that (assuming best intentions by the teacher) the experience might, might have had the desired outcome you suggest for the White kids in the class, at what cost to the eight year old children of color?
One of the affected students' parents, Vernex Harding, spoke to local TV about the event, which she said traumatized her son.

Quoting her child's reaction, she said: "as soon as she did it, mami, I knew it was wrong,"

https://www.businessinsider.com/bronxville-teacher-cast-black-students-in-mock-slave-auction-investigation-2019-5

This teacher would have done well to study this which instructs, do not, "Use role-plays. They can induce trauma and minimization, and are almost certain to provoke parental concerns."

If you're solely concerned about the impact to the White kids in the class and you're willing to gamble on them learning the right lesson (i.e. slavery === bad) then this might not be so reprehensible. But, considering the risk, it's deplorable.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New I was thinking they'd all get over it. Didn't think it'd necessarily be that bad (if done right).
New GMTA
     Americans are superficially good people. - (mmoffitt) - (14)
         er, is that a q.e.d. (optional: '?') - (Ashton)
         From just the bit you quoted, one would assume... - (CRConrad) - (12)
             Could go either way - (drook) - (11)
                 Not Tom Sawyer, or even Huck Finn (which is what I *think* you're referencing). - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                     Yes, Huck Finn - (drook)
                     How does that short description contradict my guess as to the teacher's possible intention? -NT - (CRConrad) - (3)
                         That's a trailing pachyderm. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                             I was thinking they'd all get over it. Didn't think it'd necessarily be that bad (if done right). -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                 GMTA -NT - (Ashton)
                 Seems an extraordinarily Hard-nut to crack {even in ballet..} - (Ashton) - (4)
                     I don't think it's a hard call. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                         Most likely, "she Meant well" won't SHA. - (Ashton) - (2)
                             You think Civics classes were difficult for YOU? - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                 ¡Wow! .. - (Ashton)

Many of the dead have finished being dead without the assistance of medical staff or fancy equipment.
40 ms