IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Anybody know how to fix a corrupted FileMaker database? [Edited]
My cousin, an artist(1), kept an archive of her drawings in a FileMaker DB.

Now she tells me there's something wrong with the file; she can't open or restore it.

Anybody know how I could help her? Looked it up on Wikipedia; seems there is a Windows version in addition to the Mac one. Is the file format identical, so I can at least try to do something for her even though I don't have a Mac (any more), or...?

[Edit:] Clarification: I don't even know yet whether her data was on a Mac or a Windows box. Could turn out it was Windows, but, yeah... Artistic types, especially rather well-off ones, would be exactly the kind of people to have Macs, I guess. [/Edit]

---
1: https://www.mutualart.com/Artist/Karoline-Brockel/1101533DC1760C29/Exhibitions
http://www.artnet.com/artists/karoline-br%C3%B6ckel/
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who (used to think he) Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
Expand Edited by CRConrad June 4, 2019, 04:05:36 AM EDT
New Cool, thanks!
New It has been a while
FM is one of those tools that gives people just enough rope to hang themselves with.

I think the DB format transfers between Windows and Mac but there is limited compatibility between versions. The VM idea will give you the best shot.
New is this the product?
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Yeah, except now that her file is corrupted already, it's a bit late to try to avoid it getting so.
I'd bet she never cloned her database or anything, dunno about any backups. Waiting for her to send me the file.

But thanks anyway!
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who (used to think he) Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Ask her if she knows the type of the image field.
The standard/simple image field type stores the image in the database but FM also has an extended/advanced image field type which only stores a reference in the database field and keeps the image file on disk.
(I guess the size of the file will give it away if she doesn't know)
New Yep, thanks, will do.
     Anybody know how to fix a corrupted FileMaker database? [Edited] - (CRConrad) - (7)
         I don't know about FileMaker - (malraux) - (1)
             Cool, thanks! -NT - (CRConrad)
         It has been a while - (scoenye)
         is this the product? - (boxley) - (3)
             Yeah, except now that her file is corrupted already, it's a bit late to try to avoid it getting so. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                 Ask her if she knows the type of the image field. - (scoenye) - (1)
                     Yep, thanks, will do. -NT - (CRConrad)

My other car is a Lincoln.
81 ms