IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Thanks, guys, great food for thought!
But I'm beginning to think I'll keep this desktop advice on the side for a while, and go with a laptop (and a Big Honking Screen to go with it) first.

If anyone wants to pitch in with more advice on laptops, I'm listening.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who (used to think he) Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New I got an Lenovo L390 for work, too.
Faster and substantially cheaper than a comparable Dell. It seems pretty good.

(My previous Dell E7450 developed a motherboard fault just outside the 3 year warranty - I had to cut the clock speed in half to keep it from spontaneously shutting down.)

Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Asus GL703GE
It sits at the lower end of Asus's gaming range. We got one about a month ago to replace my falling apart Toshiba A215. What a difference :-)

It is not a lightweight but in return it is solid. The keyboard feel and operation was a pleasant surprise. The trackpad, although it does not have separate buttons, is nowhere near as obnoxious as the ones HP foists on you.

The fans do seem to run most of the time but they are quieter than any other laptop I worked with, especially when something (say, the Washington Post website...) gives the CPU a workout.

Sign of the times: it does not have a DVD drive. I didn't even notice at first but it did lead to some headscratching later on.
     Acquisition speculation: New lap- or possibly desktop computer. - (CRConrad) - (22)
         OK! - (pwhysall) - (5)
             Only comment re: hybrid drives - (malraux) - (1)
                 oops - (pwhysall)
             Component Pricing - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 Beware of PC Part Picker too :-P - (malraux) - (1)
                     Not my experience, but ymmv -NT - (pwhysall)
         Pick your budget first, then decide on the parts. - (Another Scott) - (5)
             32GB? - (pwhysall) - (4)
                 Pffft. Chrome. -NT - (malraux) - (3)
                     Yup. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         phillips screwdriver, works on warning lights in dash as well -NT - (boxley)
                         Ooh, get her with her dollar dollar bills, y'all. - (pwhysall)
         Thanks, guys, great food for thought! - (CRConrad) - (2)
             I got an Lenovo L390 for work, too. - (Another Scott)
             Asus GL703GE - (scoenye)
         Frist p0st...! - (CRConrad) - (6)
             and its purty too! -NT - (boxley)
             Nice. Never had you down as a fashionista, but every day's a schoolday. -NT - (pwhysall) - (4)
                 Not "fashionista", more work aversion (and some "reverse male insecurity"). - (CRConrad) - (3)
                     Re: OT: "Red Edition" - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                         Wouldn't "Red Chinese" be more au courant? -NT - (drook) - (1)
                             No, the REAL Chinese -- i.e, not the "Red" ones: - (CRConrad)

Best thing since sliced SPAM!
82 ms