IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Anyone cooked via “sous vide”?
The word of e-mouth makes it sound attractive, but I wonder whether any of you, my droogies, have explored the technology.

cordially,
New I am not a fan
I find the texture of many sous vide-cooked foods unappetising. I am likely in a minority on this matter.

It's also fiddly, messy, and a pain in the arse, requiring two additional pieces of equipment (vacuum-packer, temp-controlled water bath) - so is suboptimal in crowded domestic kitchens.
New That's why I've never bothered
"It's so tender!"

Ok, but I like the current texture of my steak.
--

Drew
New Gracias
I find Peter’s argument about introducing additional impedimenta into an already cluttered kitchen, and drook’s regarding the yield of old-fashioned methods—I barbecue a pretty decent tri-tip—entirely persuasive, and this accordingly falls off the list of possible birthday gifts for the spousette. Thanks.

cordially,
New Only from the guinea pig perspective
The French chef in charge at my previous employer was trying to develop a new course of study around the technology. Boneless meats came out the best. The texture profile does differ because the meat is evenly cooked throughout. With the exception of the finished surface (i.e. seared one way or other after it comes out of the bag), the texture does not change from outside to inside like it does with dry heat cooking. OTOH, you don't have to worry about how long to cook it for if the cut was uneven.

The controller/circulator for the water bath is critical. If it can't maintain the set temperature, the outcome will be dissapointing. (Instant Pot now advertises sous-vide capability but reviews show it can't maintain temperature and may not be able to reach higher temperatures altogether.)
     Anyone cooked via “sous vide”? - (rcareaga) - (4)
         I am not a fan - (pwhysall) - (2)
             That's why I've never bothered - (drook) - (1)
                 Gracias - (rcareaga)
         Only from the guinea pig perspective - (scoenye)