IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New “Alien” set designer busted
I first caught this still image years back on a blog dedicated to “typesetting from the future.” It is, of course, a frame grab from Ridley Scott’s original Alien (1979), in which Sigourney Weaver sets her spacecraft to go bang ten (cinema) minutes later. Those of us who sat through it in the theatre forty years ago had only a second to absorb those flickering photons, but thanks to the miracle of digital media, unforeseen in that primitive era, we can See What They Did There (including the misspelling of “abort”).

I did this sort of thing now and then in print over the course of my alleged career, including when I typeset a simulated page for a commercial catalogue that included the designation “Model RU-486,” this being in fact the designation for the so-called “morning-after pill,” lately in the news, and causing the usual suspects to wax very wroth indeed (the “in the news” part, I mean. I’m fairly certain that my meaningless subversion was never detected).

Does it strike anyone else, incidentally, that an interstellar cargo hauler’s self-destruct unit is not likely to be engaged on multiple occasions? The “used spacecraft” trope gained in currency after Star Wars (Tarkovsky got there first half a decade earlier, although of course a Soviet production was never Coming to a Theatre Near You if you happened not to live in a college town or a capital-M major urban center), but those keys are pretty grimy for a one-time emergency component.

cordially,

“keyboard”/
New Re: “Alien” set designer busted
A pleasing bit of ambient trance (probably NSFA*):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1Jqh6-tffI

(note title)

*Not Safe For Ashton
New Since nothing is 'Safe' anymore..
Clearly this is JS's "Second Brandenburg Concerto" (with clarino trumpet/masked out) cubed, then Fourier-transformed to A-flat minor {aka 'morose' tonality} thence played backwards.

FIFY. :-)
New They used to have that sort of fun on Star Trek, too.
If I recall correctly, they were called "Okuda-grams" after the name of the set designer who designed them. They often initials of the set designers. There were also other in-jokes in text far too small for the cameras to resolve. :-)

Wade.
     “Alien” set designer busted - (rcareaga) - (3)
         Re: “Alien” set designer busted - (pwhysall) - (1)
             Since nothing is 'Safe' anymore.. - (Ashton)
         They used to have that sort of fun on Star Trek, too. - (static)

So we're in the Temple of Mitra now?
58 ms