IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Surely norms are made to be broken
So with the short-fingered vulgarian responding to Congressional subpoenas by telling the House to go pound sand—and presumably prepared to flip off the judiciary should any court be impertinent enough to order him to comply—I think the pragmatic arguments against impeachment, based on political calculation (you’ll never get sixty-seven votes in the Senate to convict; failure to do so will be trumpeted by the GOP as “total exoneration), have lost a certain amount of sand, because if Congress does not at least attempt to stand up for its status as a co-equal branch of the federal government (and it was conceived, of course, as the first among equals by the Founders, who would have regarded with horror the Caesarism that has settled upon the executive this past century), then it might as well waive it for all time, or at least for all Republican administrations: it seems safe to assume that the next time, if ever, that a Democrat ascends to the purple, the GOP will suddenly rediscover its oversight authority, for we have always been at war with Eastasia.

Another argument I have seen for impeachment is that even if acquittal in the upper chamber is a foregone conclusion, the trial itself would reveal in stark terms (to those, at any rate, with eyes to see and ears to hear—“Too bad, kids,” murmurs the shade of Adlai Stevenson, “ but you need a majority”) the depths of depravity and corruption into which this crime family has plunged us. This would probably be perceived by the Republican Senate leadership, all one of it, as a suboptimal outcome. What’s a patriotic Senate Majority Leader to do? After all, if the House passes articles of impeachment, the Senate is duty-bound to sit in judgment—

Not so fast, sonny. Who says we have to have a trial in the Senate? Oddly enough, not the Constitution.

Huh? WTF??
…But it is also possible that, in this time of disregard and erosion of established institutional practices and norms, the current leadership of the Senate could choose to abrogate them once more. The same Mitch McConnell who blocked the Senate’s exercise of its authority to advise and consent to the Supreme Court nomination of Merrick Garland, could attempt to prevent the trial of a House impeachment of Donald Trump. And he would not have to look far to find the constitutional arguments and the flexibility to revise Senate rules and procedures to accomplish this purpose.

The Constitution does not by its express terms direct the Senate to try an impeachment. In fact, it confers on the Senate “the sole power to try,” which is a conferral of exclusive constitutional authority and not a procedural command. The Constitution couches the power to impeach in the same terms: it is the House’s “sole power.” The House may choose to impeach or not, and one can imagine an argument that the Senate is just as free, in the exercise of its own “sole power,” to decline to try any impeachment that the House elects to vote.

The current rules governing Senate practice and procedure do not pose an insurmountable problem for this maneuver…
I think it likely that this is what McConnell will do. What happens after that, I do not know, except that a certain number of people may take to the street, which could in turn provide the pretext for massively disproportionate countermeasures to “restore order”…it’s rather depressing to contemplate. Thoughts?

cordially,
New on the otherhand
Chief Justice sits alone in the house and "could" say not allowed whaen congress critter try to make any arguments he doesnt like
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Roberts’ role in a trial
(and mind you, I think he’s a Federalist Society hack) will be significantly affected by how willing he is for his eventual Wikipedia entry to end with “(see also Taney, Roger B.)”

Balls and strikes indeed.

cordially,
New Concur that it's his main-Carrot/and that he shudders re any Sticks ever to be applied/incisively.
New You'll be unsurprised to hear that I've given up trying to predict anything about our government ...
or people. I think I can safely say that the form of government present for my youth (and up until at least Nixon) no longer exists. There are, roughly, 40 percent of us who neither understood it nor believed in it. They are an over-represented, uninformed, anti-intellectual, tribal lot and I'm increasingly disinterested in what will become of them or their government.

That said, in your other post I am somewhat heartened by your friend's speculation that half the people will die off. Would that he's right. Now, how do we make sure it's the proper half?
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New doing things by halves
I am somewhat heartened by your friend's speculation that half the people will die off. Would that he's right. Now, how do we make sure it's the proper half?
Or as I saw it put once, “Just enough of us, but way too many of you.”

cordially,
New Well ..this cheery thread aims us towards --> Brass Tacks then, dunnit?
Here and abroad the Master- racists shall covet every mass burial of POC, of course.
When the food- [and WATER] fights become dire, well no one can predict Mob-actions any more than describing the trajectory of an air molecule via Brownian-movement stats. Ergo when all semblance of Local/“State” … any: effective governance dies, combining to produce First-degree chaos: all transport [FOOD] is Mad-Max thence or earlier. No More “type a few things" and get your bottle of Tincture/Iodine from Big River ..nor even some freeze-dried K-rations. If the electrical grid succumbs early-on (via fights, absentee switch-gear operators and ..sabotage?) … a few solar-independent folk may have their appurtenances a little while longer. If they have a well, are far from the madding crowds? well There’s your reprise Earth Abides scenario. In small pockets.

tl;dr METHANE! ..the warming of PERMAFROST, now happening … guarantees that the tipping-points shall fall all akimbo. But isn’t the largest-Force agains remedial measures: the evident fact that masses of folks would die before surrendering the tiniest of modern techno-comforts? ... those (once SST!) flights to go elsewhere:
to re-discover {but Here I Am again! still “living that *life of quiet desperation"/un-Healed}.
* sorry to hear that Thurber wasn’t the originator of the phrase, but he certainly grabbed the Visual for that thought.

ie My guess is: that homo-sap hasn’t the Moxie to voluntarily cease er, The Capitalism-which-demands Waste (of energy/resources ) in order to keep the Collection of Stuff the #1 means of demonstrating one’s Status ..while fueling coffers of a tiny band of hoarders of exactly-Obscene amounts of digits on bank balances: THE Status Symbol above all else. Innit?

So then, however impossible anatomically: we shall have Fucked-Selves ..AND the quadrillions of the surrounding beasts, ever taken for granted as unimportant adjuncts for our dining table, trophy room or just our mindless amusement.

(Hey! ‘they’ tried to tell us about The Maya … but the mere thought of THAT was too scary even to guess about, so most-all punted.)
moi hopes to enjoy the spectacles on this warped horizon if I can ..just stick to the koan, What? Me Worry?? :-)
See y'all at the barricades, maybe … but only if they’re neither balsa-wood nor ‘manned’ by the usual Wretches-in-Chief, traditionally feckless. :-{
New Bumptious.. LRPD en passant: suggests there's Always a Way Out:
Three rings for the elven-kings under the sky
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone.
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

One Ring to rule them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to bring them all
and
in
the
darkness
bind
them
......And then I Heard that RING!
but it was just the fone.. Shit!
     Surely norms are made to be broken - (rcareaga) - (7)
         on the otherhand - (boxley) - (2)
             Roberts’ role in a trial - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 Concur that it's his main-Carrot/and that he shudders re any Sticks ever to be applied/incisively. -NT - (Ashton)
         You'll be unsurprised to hear that I've given up trying to predict anything about our government ... - (mmoffitt) - (1)
             doing things by halves - (rcareaga)
         Well ..this cheery thread aims us towards --> Brass Tacks then, dunnit? - (Ashton) - (1)
             Bumptious.. LRPD en passant: suggests there's Always a Way Out: - (Ashton)

Know what's better than being born on third base? Being born in the owner's box.
99 ms