IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The most cogent, even-wise AND Interesting Econ interview evah.. (por moi.)
Freakonomics. npr natch.
Today's prgm. isn't there yet.. but for those of us who align with the 'dismal' aspects (of the thoughts & actions of most Econ-majors) I'd bet that this eloquent non-didactic Speaker will keep you listening..

Freakonomics Radio

Predicting a Financial Crisis
In 2005, Raghuram Rajan said the financial system was at risk “of a catastrophic meltdown.” After stints at the I.M.F. and India’s central bank, he sees another potential crisis — and he offers a solution. Is it stronger governments? Freer markets? Rajan’s answer: neither.

Mr. Rajan would draw even moi to Econ-de-Bull-shitted 101 ..in a trice. Alas he has much bigger fish (to keep from stewing in their own myopic horizons).

Carrion ..often it starts with Bullshit-Econ-in-situ.
New I'm more of a Dean Baker acolyte, myself.
I don't see a link for that on their page. I'm generally not a fan of Freakonomics' presentation (too much of - everyone is an idiot except us and the people we decide to fluff this week. See, e.g. solar panels and albedo).

InTheBlack (from 2015):

Dean Baker, co-director of the Centre for Economic and Policy Research

In the years leading up to the GFC, Baker wrote numerous columns tipping an American housing price bubble and a subsequent burst. In 2004, in an article in The Nation titled “Bush’s house of cards”, he wrote: “The crash of the housing market will not be pretty. It is virtually certain to lead to a second dip to the recession. Even worse, millions of families will see the bulk of their savings disappear as homes in some of the bubble areas lose 30 per cent, or more, of their value.”

In November 2006, Baker published his paper Recession Looms for the US Economy in 2007, in which he predicted a “downturn in consumption spending, which together with plunging housing investment, will likely push the economy into recession.”

Policy rethink: Since the GFC, Baker has warned against the incompetence of financial policymakers. In his 2010 book, False Profits: Recovering from the Bubble Economy, he states that the US needs to “rein in a financial sector that has grown out of control”.

Raghuram Rajan, governor of the Reserve Bank of India

As an economic counsellor at the International Monetary Fund in 2005, Raghuram Rajan drew disapproving looks from an audience of economists and bankers in Jackson Hole, Wyoming when he questioned the “worrisome” actions of the banks. He said the rollout of complicated instruments such as credit-default swaps and mortgage-backed securities made the global financial system a riskier place. Indeed, he argued that such developments “may also create a greater – albeit still small – probability of a catastrophic meltdown”.

Given that investments markets were revelling in high growth at the time, Rajan was an easy target for criticism. By 2008, his concerns had been justified. Now the head of India’s central bank, Rajan is again worried – he is warning that “super-easy” money from the world’s central banks, including the US Federal Reserve, to combat recession is inflating assets and encouraging bad investments.

Market meddling: Rajan fears long-term low interest rates and unorthodox programs to stimulate economies, such as quantitative easing, may lead to more turmoil in financial markets.

“My sense is that monetary policy can only do so much and beyond a certain point if you try to use monetary policy it does more damage than good,” he told Time magazine in August 2014.

Low baseline interest rates and QE are the only thing that kept the US economy (and the rest of the developed world economy) going. And they're too high now (especially for non-auto credit for normal people).

Lots and lots of the popular economics press doesn't like Baker because he's a lefty and he explains things clearly and isn't afraid to criticize the 'experts' who get everything wrong. But he's right much more often than not. He hangs out at Beat The Press. (I contribute there a little every month.)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Your diss of Freak- notwithstanding
(Yes it's easy to find a certain superciliousity [new word] within ALL of us 'elites', what ain't got much Patience---anyMORE..--with mouthbreathers/all those proud of their dedicated-ignorance a, thus gullibility--well it does contain {~ability} I guess.)

Notwithstanding.. that all: if a one can find Freak-o's sometime link to above, I'll go with Rajan's careful and pellucid overview, for the nonce. His experience derives from having-Been designated a high-priest of the Econ-pseudo-science--apparently without any hint of possessing smug-mastery of the trade: mainly it's about his perpetual curiosity? I wot.

PS: I have YET-to-hear from modrin Conservatives Reactionary radicals ... anything but doggerel in non-answer to my continuing query:

[opt. W.T.F.] ..Is. It. that "you aim to CONSERVE" Hmmm? [please show your work]
(implicit: what safety-nets for the vast-majority: are you determined to trash-in-a-second, had you the power???)

Bafflegad.. it's inculcated from Birth; think of your first query to a parent after you'd grokked 'talking', say
"Where did I come from?/why am I here?/who am I anyway?"

My aunt, full into senescence had stated to (RN-in-charge, a family-member-whom I had appointed, moi as Executor and also her Guardian):

I don't know Who I am
I don't know Where I am
There's no place I want to go
There's nothing I want to do

..I'm not making this up; L. immediately wrote it down (and likely couldn't have assembled the thoughts ..so pellucidly, anyway)

Sometimes I wonder how many? 'adults' walk around with a scripted façade/masque ...
in very-near that mind-state :-/ Then: 'vote'. :-/ :-/
'Econ'-omists too?? {ulp}
     The most cogent, even-wise AND Interesting Econ interview evah.. (por moi.) - (Ashton) - (2)
         I'm more of a Dean Baker acolyte, myself. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Your diss of Freak- notwithstanding - (Ashton)

Coding all day leaves you in a state of mild aphasia as you look at people's faces while they're speaking and you don't know they've finished because there's no semicolon.
33 ms