IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Upon visiting the former workplace last week
Fucking hell. I looked in on our New Orleans office (an enormous building) last month, and the facility was practically deserted (certain portions have been leased to subtenants, but vast spaces have been simply abandoned). San Francisco is barely less moribund. I’d originally intended to retire this month, this year, but the account I had over lunch with a colleague recently makes me think that I bailed at the last minute in 2017.

Visiting the former workplace last week, I was struck at how what I once regarded as my potential “legacy” has been utterly erased: both the design sense I attempted to inculcate for the last three decades of my alleged career, and the consciousness of institutional history I labored to leave behind. All gone. No trace of me.

I might as well never have walked into the building forty years ago. I thought at one time that I was building something, but it turns out that all the while I was piling sand.

futilely,
New My dad gave me an apt analogy
When you're at work, in a job, you're like a hand swirling a bucket of water. There are bubbles and froth and splashes galore.

But when that hand is withdrawn, how long does it take for the bucket to seem as if the hand were never there?

Quite.
New this suggests another watery analogy
—at least as apt; also involving the transience of bubbles and froth.

cordially,
New Re: I might as well never have walked into the building ...
I imagine we can all say that at some point. I looked, but could not find the direct quote from Ricky Gervais, but he was making the point that no matter what you think is important, in the end, it isn't. In general, nothing we hate, love, cherish, wish to forget or is a source of pride is of any consequence at all in forty or fifty years.

Least of all, I'd submit, is any work ever done by anyone with information technologies; for that work typically takes only a handful of years to become completely irrelevant. I cannot imagine a worse way than working in an IT field to spend significant portions of your 70, 80 or (if you're lucky) 90 years of sentience. But, it does pay well.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New You can't see any of this stuff from the Moon.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New ignore dupe
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
Expand Edited by boxley April 16, 2019, 02:59:22 PM EDT
New disagree, you can see the yukon from the moon and I pee'd in it once or twice :-)
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Is it possible we have misinterpreted, "Sic transit gloria <strike>mundi"</s> ..all along?
The gloria resides [only..] within the human jelloware du jour on down to a/any! One. The mundi operates upon Rulez we barely ever glimpsed and many will acknowledge that, just maybe our febrile brains haven't remotely the capability even to to glimpse the Cosmos all about (let alone grok any semblance of a [Reality] behind all the pizzazz and light shows)! Are we then, little more that a re-recordable DVD afloat on a sea of changing sensory inputs? Pick a simile Any simile, but choose Door #3 Or Else

Mckibben book being hawked: Falter: Has the human game begun to *play itself out? (Interviewed on Democ. Now, npr, other venues)
In musical groups this phrase has always reminded of the Haydn Symphony wherein the musicians walk out, section by section; forgot which is the last one playing. (So it wasn't the trumpet..)

Apropos, mine own locus of daily science-playing has been dismantled, carted away, 30-ton blocks and all (though the Sacred Log-books are retained for well, who Knoze?) Thus my immortality is assured ... sayeth moi + Ozy.. of a previous generation.

Unless ..
     Upon visiting the former workplace last week - (rcareaga) - (7)
         My dad gave me an apt analogy - (pwhysall) - (1)
             this suggests another watery analogy - (rcareaga)
         Re: I might as well never have walked into the building ... - (mmoffitt)
         You can't see any of this stuff from the Moon. -NT - (malraux) - (2)
             ignore dupe -NT - (boxley)
             disagree, you can see the yukon from the moon and I pee'd in it once or twice :-) -NT - (boxley)
         Is it possible we have misinterpreted, "Sic transit gloria <strike>mundi"</s> ..all along? - (Ashton)

I swear, you make people want to jump into a volcano.
95 ms