IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Back in the USSR.
Oops. Nope. Sorry. Not the USSR, the USA.
Secret database listed 59 advocates and journalists tied to the migrant caravan, according to leaked documents

Amanda Holpuch and Lauren Aratani in New York

‘I have not seen this kind of systematic targeting of journalists and advocates in this way,’ said an ACLU staff attorney, Esha Bhandari.

Photojournalist Ariana Drehsler was stopped for a secondary screening three separate times in one week while crossing the US-Mexico border to cover the migrant caravan in Tijuana this winter – unaware that the journey she had taken countless times before was suddenly more complicated because her name was logged in a secret government database.

That database, part of something called Operation Secure Line, listed 59 advocates and journalists tied to the migrant caravan, according to leaked documents obtained by local news station NBC 7.

“I am an observer, I am actually kind of shy, I don’t know what I could’ve done to be put on a watchlist,” Drehsler, a freelancer based in San Diego, told the Guardian.

Drehsler was grouped in the database as “media/journalist”, alongside others identified as “instigator” and “organizer”. Her image in the database, like those of several others, is marked with a bright green X on her face to indicate an alert has been placed on her passport. NBC 7 reported that the database included a dossier on each person.

Civil rights activists and members of Congress have expressed alarm about this database, as well as the arrest of more than 37 other immigration activists by Donald Trump’s administration. They see it as a politically motivated crackdown on media and campaigners as Trump seeks to ramp up the pressure to build a border wall.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/mar/20/leaked-database-targeting-journalists-immigration-activists
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New only 59? Someone is not doing their job
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
     Back in the USSR. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
         only 59? Someone is not doing their job -NT - (boxley)

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...
30 ms