IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New This.
My son plays video games and he's skinnier and more fit than most people you know. Anyone who watches him play a match knows why: he's all over the place while he's doing it.

I play them. I'm not exactly an obese couch potato.

News flash: stereotyping is bullshit.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Anecdotal evidence != proof.
Researchers found that each hour the children played video games or watched television doubled the likelihood that the child was obese. Other factors that increased the risk of childhood obesity to a lesser extent were having a mother who worked outside the home or a father who smoked. The researchers speculate that unsupervised children may be more likely to eat large quantities of snack food after school. They also add that parental smoking may reflect a less health-conscious family environment.

Factors that lowered the risk of obesity among the children included physical activity and eating breakfast.

https://www.webmd.com/parenting/news/20040702/video-games-tv-double-childhood-obesity-risk

Dr. Katherine Morrison, co-author of the study, worked with researchers from McMaster and California State University, Fullerton. She is an associate professor of pediatrics for McMaster University's Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine and a pediatric endocrinologist with the McMaster Children's Hospital.

Her team's findings are serious, given the rise in videogame addictions, she said.

"This is an important phenomenon to understand. We are seeing that some children and teens develop serious addiction-like symptoms to video games," said Morrison. "It affects a vulnerable population of children and youth, can impact social interactions amongst youth and, as our research shows, can drive health issues."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/05/160509150010.htm

The results can be confusing. Evelina Krieger, a pediatrician at Allegheny General Hospital, offers some perspective:

If the children in the Canadian study spent the hour-plus they spend each day playing active video games without snacking, they'd lose 0.7 pounds a week, she said.

But the exercise they get playing active video games "is sort of equivalent to slowly walking," Dr. Krieger said. It's nowhere near the exercise children get when they are outside, running, jumping and playing, she said.

The key advice for parents is to limit the total time children indoors with electronic devices and "get them outside," she said.

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/health/2012/11/12/TV-video-games-linked-to-obesity/stories/201211120171
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New What I see there:
Unsupervised children do things that affect them poorly.

Kids shouldn't play video games too much.

Physical exercise is good too.

None of the above say "video gaming is always bad".

Studies that look for one thing and point at it as bad are suspect, as with any food-related studies. Here we go: an hour a day of video games is fine. Getting exercise is fine too. Why not do both?
Regards,
-scott
New It's highly subjective.
I doubt very much you share my profound regret of having spent so much of my brief life seated in front of a display screen, hacking away at a keyboard. To be sure, doing that allowed me to provide my family with many, many things that my father never could. In the end, though, was it worth the cost? I'd answer in the negative - which I'd bet my last nickel makes me a minority of one on this board and colors my view on time spent video gaming. Back in grad school (circa 1994 or 5), I took a course on neural networking. It was taught by a physics prof and we built a piece of software that was plugged into a multi-node system that simulated a neuron during an epileptic seizure. I was chatting with the prof one day and the topic of my job as a programmer came up. I'd had him in a handful of physics courses both as an undergrad and grad student and, knowing my general disdain for all things IT, he was surprised to hear I was a computer programmer. "YOU are a computer programmer?" he asked. "Yes," I replied. He asked, "How did that happen?" I replied, "It was a horrible accident. There were no survivors." I haven't really deviated much from that sentiment since.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Feeling a little whip-sawed.
So, is anecdotal evidence bad or good?
Regards,
-scott
New I already refuted your anecdotal evidence.
Your statement that these disparate groups of professionals have all concluded the same thing because of their biases doesn't isn't a compelling argument.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this point. I ain't got a cat in the fight over whether video gaming is "good" for young people or not, so I rely upon studies. You don't. Fair enough. I was merely speculating on why we could never reach agreement on this topic. None so blind ... and all that.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Not disagreeing with the studies.
I'm disagreeing with your interpretation of their applicability.
Regards,
-scott
New beats digging ditches by far I have done heavy manual labor, happy to drool in front of a lapper
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
     Somebody, please. PLEASE turn the lights out already! - (mmoffitt) - (21)
         It's a physical skill. Smaller motion scale, but nonetheless. - (malraux) - (20)
             And disaffected couch potatoes. $DEITY knows we need more of them. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (19)
                 How do you know they're either of those things? - (pwhysall) - (18)
                     I don't play video games. - (mmoffitt) - (17)
                         You should look at the kids who play e-sports - (pwhysall) - (16)
                             This. - (malraux) - (7)
                                 Anecdotal evidence != proof. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                                     What I see there: - (malraux) - (5)
                                         It's highly subjective. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                             Feeling a little whip-sawed. - (malraux) - (2)
                                                 I already refuted your anecdotal evidence. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                     Not disagreeing with the studies. - (malraux)
                                             beats digging ditches by far I have done heavy manual labor, happy to drool in front of a lapper -NT - (boxley)
                             Never >mind< the avoirdupois angle: - (Ashton) - (7)
                                 Unlike football, wrestling and boxing, which teach kindness and gentleness? -NT - (drook) - (3)
                                     ..but lethality isn't their er, raison d'etre, right? (not to mention their bonus: free exercise.) -NT - (Ashton) - (2)
                                         I played football in 5th and 6th grade - (drook) - (1)
                                             I stand corrected: that is indeed the v-SUB-v Message of the game. Mea culpa: (also to the Coaches) - (Ashton)
                                 They know it's not real - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                     As with anything - (malraux) - (1)
                                         Clockwork Orange, prison reading program ... QED -NT - (drook)

No matter what I accomplish in this life, nobody's going to sculpt my head in thermoplastic resin and make it spit water into the bedrooms of sick children.
111 ms