IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 3 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New For that, any old box will do to start
Desktop hardware should not pose any problems. There are some teething issues with the latest Intel CPUs but I think they mostly affect laptops. (Misinterpretation of IRQ/GPIO pin assignment knocked out the trackpad on some models. Issues were solved in kernel 4.19 which is not in e.g. Debian Stable.)

Also with laptops: if you're looking at one with Intel + NVidia GPUs, check out "Optimus". It is a mess that still has no proper resolution. OTOH, NVidia does provide drivers for pretty much everything they ever made. AMD, not so much.

If you're going to play with Docker without running real workloads, I'd say a 4 core CPUs and a board that can handle 8GB or more of RAM. (That was the case >10 years ago when I put my last one together, so that's more a case of avoiding "too cheap" boards.)
New A note on IDEs and web UIs
I read your post as you're putting together a headless target server. However, if you plan on using something like an Eclipse or web based control interface on it, you'll need at least 4GB RAM just for that alone.
New noted and thanks not headless tho I am keyboard and monitor poor
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
     feel the need to build a linux box - (boxley) - (4)
         I just ordered a bunch of parts from Provantage for a work desktop. - (Another Scott)
         For that, any old box will do to start - (scoenye) - (2)
             A note on IDEs and web UIs - (scoenye) - (1)
                 noted and thanks not headless tho I am keyboard and monitor poor -NT - (boxley)

Cloaca Cola... oh, that was sooo good.
65 ms