IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It's not over yet...
WaPo (From February 4):

But Pelosi has a much more immediate way to challenge Trump’s declaration. Under the National Emergencies Act, or NEA, both chambers of Congress can pass a resolution terminating any presidentially declared national emergency.

[Let’s say Trump declares a national emergency. What happens next?]

What Pelosi can do

Elizabeth Goitein, who has researched this topic extensively for the Brennan Center for Justice, tells me that if Pelosi exercises this option, it will ultimately require the Senate to vote on it in some form as well. The NEA stipulates that if one chamber (Pelosi’s House) passes such a resolution, which it easily could do, the other (McConnell’s Senate) must act on it within a very short time period — forcing GOP senators to choose whether to support it.

Alternatively, Goitein notes, the Senate could vote not to consider that resolution or change its rules to avoid such a vote. But in those scenarios, the Senate would, in effect, be voting to greenlight Trump’s emergency declaration.

The NEA lays out a timetable for this process, and by Goitein’s reading, it would all take place within the protracted period of barely longer than a month. “In short, there could be 36 days between introduction of the resolution in the House and a vote on the Senate floor,” Goitein told me, “but that vote would have to happen,” and once it did, one way or the other, it would put senators “on record.”

A Democratic leadership aide tells me the House might opt for this move if Trump takes the plunge. “The House will vigorously challenge any declaration that seeks an end run around Congress’s power of the purse,” the aide says.

https://www.brennancenter.org/analysis/emergency-powers

We'll see.

Cheers,
Scott.
New like pelosi said, the next dem prez may declare an emergency and take away gun rights
bad precedent
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Like the last one did
OH WAIT
New I, as an owner of multiple firearms. WISH!
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Hell, then I might buy some..
Just for the extreme pleasure of seeing them-MOSTLY returned to their proper recycling-steel-giant-POT.
thus saving N-animals from the trophy-hunters and other defectives extant.

Let the totally-addicted do this shit in Virtual-"Reality" (the only sort which so many of our tribes ever actually visited, since birth?)
New Jonathan Turley weighs in...
"...Congress has the authority to rescind the national emergency declaration of Trump with a vote of both chambers. The legislative branch should do so. If Congress cannot muster the votes, however, a federal judge is unlikely to do so. Simply put, the courts were not created to protect Congress from itself. Congress has been heading to hell for decades, and it is a bit late to complain about the destination."

https://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/430335-why-trump-will-win-the-wall-fight
     Trump will sign and declare a national emergency. - (mmoffitt) - (7)
         It's not over yet... - (Another Scott) - (5)
             like pelosi said, the next dem prez may declare an emergency and take away gun rights - (boxley) - (3)
                 Like the last one did - (pwhysall)
                 I, as an owner of multiple firearms. WISH! -NT - (mmoffitt)
                 Hell, then I might buy some.. - (Ashton)
             Jonathan Turley weighs in... - (dmcarls)
         He admits that it's bullshit - (lincoln)

Ninety-none-point-lots-of-nines percent of the galaxy is empty blackness.
44 ms