IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New iMacs are great while they're working
And utter dogshit to troubleshoot and fix when they're not. Both of mine - a white one and an aluminium one - had serious hardware faults. Both fixed under AppleCare.

When you get a Mac fixed under AppleCare you get an invoice listing all the parts and their prices, even though it's at zero cost to you.

2nd iMac needed:

Screen replaced - £600
GPU replaced - £400
Optical drive replaced - £150
Hard disk replaced - £100

First one had something similar. I wouldn't keep an iMac beyond the warranty period - they're both expensive to fix (parts are just ruinously expensive) and difficult to work with; they're hard to open with several points of expensive failure in the process.

If Apple simply stopped the pointless quest for thinness on desktop computers, they could use nice, pretty-much-stock desktop-class components with quiet, effective cooling solutions, in a serviceable form factor. And it'd still look awesome.

But at present they're a chimera - odd sort-of-laptop components in a thermally-compromised enclosure that positively encourages failure and is an absolute bugger to deal with when that happens.
New I can aver that.. electronics doesn't Like (any extra ) heat,
that assured bugaboo of Bon-Ton-thinness ... and what it costs re any repair but especially (GPU and elsewhere) in these overgrown laptops. I attribute the apparent health of my early/late? '09-24" to just a couple matters I Do pay attention to:

A) Make sure to run fingers across the [too-Small] holes in the bottom ... at least weekly; with cat hair grabbing the dust, these are easily hi-𝛀 air-resistance you don't want. I mentioned earlier the unsatisfactory #s on GPU temp and nearby, when I had neglected the finger-test+clean thing, and the before/after-cleaning effect.

B) Run latest fan control, [currently SSD] setting usually a bit faster than the OS defaults; the new levels are not screaming (but moving more air == dust in the filter-free teeny holes, too.) These small fans have a copacetic MTBF, and I'll go with the stats.

C) Luck

Ergo with A B and likely C: I'm alright Jack until ... Timmy decides to stop securitizing Safari. Again.
If we're not in caves by then.. lamps burning Republican-oil (stored from the earlier massacrees).
     Fun with iMacs... - (Another Scott) - (8)
         Wow! Given the time and effort you've put into it, I'm amazed you didn't just go buy a new one. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             It takes a long time to buy stuff at work. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         BSOD on a Mac? I feel a patent spat coming on... - (scoenye) - (3)
             :-) - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 Is there a clock anywhere on the diagnostic screens? - (scoenye) - (1)
                     Ah, good idea! I'll try to check. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
         iMacs are great while they're working - (pwhysall) - (1)
             I can aver that.. electronics doesn't Like (any extra ) heat, - (Ashton)

Behold I am become Death, the destroyer of cars.
41 ms