IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The Origins of America’s Unique and Spectacular Cruelty

What Happens When Societies Don’t Invest in Civilizing Themselves?

A friend, recently, told me a very interesting and telling story. She’d recently been in the States, where she was taking the subway to work, and she fell down, injuring her wrist. Not a single person helped her up — they all stared at her angrily as if to say: “you are going to make us late for work!!”. (Ironically, the train was full of doctors, nurses, and healthcare workers).

She contrasted that with London — where, the last year, when she’d broken a limb, and had a cast on, people would regularly, and very courteously, give up their seats on the tube.
It’s a tiny example. And perhaps you will say it’s just a meaningless anecdote. But by now, American cruelty is both legendary — and one of the world’s great unsolved mysteries. Just why would people in a rich country leave their neighbours to die for a lack of basic medicine, their young without good jobs or retirements, make their elderly work until their dying day, cripple students with lifelong debt, charge new mothers half of average income just to have a baby — not to mention shrug when their kids begin massacring each other at school? What motivates the kind of spectacular, unique, unimiaginable, and gruesome cruelty that we see in America, which exists nowhere else in the world?

See that pic above? It’s kids huddling under bulletproof blankets, doing “active shooter drills”. That’s what I mean by “unique and spectacular cruelty”. No kid should — ever — have to be traumatized and victimized like that, and indeed, even kids in Pakistan and Iran aren’t.

[. . .]

New must be a private school, public schools cant afford that
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New besides, spray the floor, the richocets will get under the blankies.
New It's theater, just like duck-and-cover drills in the 60s
And just like then, it's for the parents' benefit, not the kids'.
--

Drew
New it's fake news, those things are 1k each
thats 10k for that pic say 800 kids in a school? What school board would budget 800k for those and still get re-elected? By the way here is where the actual pic came from
https://nypost.com/2014/06/10/company-creates-bulletproof-blanket-to-protect-children-from-handguns/
New It's easy to explain.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New I'm sure you've seen this before ...
--

Drew
New Thanks! /moi fave also too: wanted to find original Source some. time. You did! :-)
New Thanks.
I remember seeing him do that joke back in the 80's. :0)
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Indeed.. in spades.
Methinks that, in tribes largely driven by 'metaphor' (whilst the vast majority Cannot give a believable Definition of the word): rampant superstition er..
trumps the mental-work of actually Finding Out {..about anything.}
(In another forum I mention a little tale on why.. Confucius' brief essay should be taught from kindergarten
--> on through Post-Grad) ... in All of our 'wissenschaffts', as a pur-sang "q.e.d." :-/

{{sigh}}
     The Origins of America’s Unique and Spectacular Cruelty - (Ashton) - (9)
         must be a private school, public schools cant afford that -NT - (boxley) - (3)
             besides, spray the floor, the richocets will get under the blankies. -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                 It's theater, just like duck-and-cover drills in the 60s - (drook) - (1)
                     it's fake news, those things are 1k each - (boxley)
         It's easy to explain. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
             I'm sure you've seen this before ... - (drook) - (2)
                 Thanks! /moi fave also too: wanted to find original Source some. time. You did! :-) -NT - (Ashton)
                 Thanks. - (mmoffitt)
             Indeed.. in spades. - (Ashton)

Over 9000!
55 ms