IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: today's update
There’s a fair amount of collateral damage taking place outside that trap, of course. I forget which agency or department suggested that furloughed feds could offer to do odd jobs for their landlords in lieu of rent, but I suspect that few owners of residential rentals will be found who will (or even, from the standpoints of their own cash flow, could) consent to this. It’s even harder to see how one negotiates such an arrangement with a mortgage lender.

The invaluable Roy Edroso points to one “Tyler Cowan”—economics prof at George Mason University!—who gloats that
I guess you can believe both “the shutdown causes temporary hardships for govt. employees,” and “payday lending is bad,” but it ain't easy.
Haw-haw-haw! Checkmate, libs!

It’s difficult to see this ending well. However, and particularly in the light of recent reports that the short-fingered vulgarian has, on the evidence of multiple sources, suborned perjury, I permit myself a guarded optimism that we are seeing “the end of the beginning” here. That Dolt 45 is susceptible to the temptation to go full-on extraconstitutional despot, that several people in his immediate orbit would be pleased for him to do so, that his notional political party is supine before his mad whims, that probably at least half the people who voted for him* in 2016 would welcome him as Trumpenfeuhrer—all this seems more likely than not, but I think he missed the sweet spot, and that his advantages, such as they are, will steadily erode from here on out. Put another way, if this gang was going to pull a Reichstag fire, they ought to have done it before the end of last year. Not that this doesn’t mean they won’t be stupid enough to try…

In the meanwhile, every passing month during which these criminal clowns are not displaced will see damage accruing to the polity that will ultimately require much longer to ameliorate.

Well, shoot, I’ve talked myself down again.

cordially,

*So yeah, “half the people who voted for him” works out to fewer than a quarter of 2016 voters, but as someone observed elsewhere, if the three of you in the office are deciding where to go for lunch, and two of you say “pizza” and the third says “actually, I’d rather kill and eat the two of you,” you’ll still have pizza, but you’ve got a real problem going on back there at the office.
New if there is more evidence than a he said she said on the suborning purjury charge
say hello to president Pence, I cant see the senate repo's holding their nose and keeping him in office
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New I know it is Fox but still
New Yep - basically, "wait for the report"
The Dems need to stop jumping the gun on every single thing, burning with outrage. Outrage has done nothing to this point and everyone is inured to it.

Pelosi has it right: just wait him out and keep baiting him into further stupidity. He's more than capable of shooting himself in the foot and reloading, and when (and only when) the Repubs decide that he's doing more damage to the brand than is countered by keeping his base happy, they'll cut his sorry ass loose.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Exactly that
It's not about what he's done. It's not even about what can be proved. All that matters is whether Republican senators think their seats are safer with him or without him.
--

Drew
New Mitch is NOT getting anywhere near enough heat for the shutdown.
I've only heard one commentator point out the obvious. That McConnell has destroyed the Senate. He clearly does not believe in the U.S. Constitution nor in the institutions of government it establishes. "We'll only vote on bills the President will sign" is the most blatant abdication of responsibility I've seen or even read about since the passing of "The Enabling Act" in Germany last century. By any objective measure McConnell is a traitor. I'd love for someone to ask him why, if the Senate is to only consider bills the President approves of is there such thing is an Override vote enshrined in the Constitution?
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Simpler question: Why is there a Senate?
--

Drew
New Or: Who needs an Enabling Act? We've got Mitch McConnell.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Re: "We'll only vote on bills the President will sign"
I read somewhere online that he sent 16 bills to President Obama knowing in advance that Obama wouldn't sign them. So just another piece of evidence that he's a major hypocrite.

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar" 1897
New hogwash
thats called covering my political ass. Let Pelosi and Trump duke it out.
New NO! It's abdication of the role of the Senate.
bcnu,
Mikem

today's update - (lincoln) - (11)
         Re: today's update - (rcareaga) - (10)
             if there is more evidence than a he said she said on the suborning purjury charge - (boxley)
             I know it is Fox but still - (boxley) - (2)
                 Yep - basically, "wait for the report" - (malraux) - (1)
                     Exactly that - (drook)
             Mitch is NOT getting anywhere near enough heat for the shutdown. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                 Simpler question: Why is there a Senate? -NT - (drook) - (1)
                     Or: Who needs an Enabling Act? We've got Mitch McConnell. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                 Re: "We'll only vote on bills the President will sign" - (lincoln)
                 hogwash - (boxley) - (1)
                     NO! It's abdication of the role of the Senate. -NT - (mmoffitt)

For Wade, it is to wonder.
54 ms