IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Absolutely disgusting.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi evoked the memory of Ronald Reagan as she vowed to protect Dreamers — undocumented immigrants who were brought to the United States as children.

"And when we're talking about the Dreamers, let us remember what President Reagan said in his last speech as president of the United States," she said.

Pelosi then urged lawmakers to read the "beautiful speech" before quoting it.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/new-congress-january-2019/h_4c2c58fc492827ab3c0eba7b4668f9fe

So, we're down to this. Choose between raving lunatics and Reagan's Democratic Party. Swell. With leadership like this, I hope you're all looking forward to Trump's second term.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Do you have an issue with what was said, or just who said it?
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Who said it.
Can you imagine, say, for instance, Jeremy Corbyn kicking of a speech by quoting Margaret Thatcher and then encouraging everyone to "read her excellent speech"?

I find her quoting him disgusting because IMO it hideously implies a yearn for "St. Ronnie, a wonderful human being and truly fine American." I remember Reagan's tenure. I remember the Contras, the Arms for Hostages, the slashing of the top income tax rate, the "Catsup and pickles are vegetables" policy for school lunches, the illegal mining of the Nicaraguan harbor, the Pentagon Republic of Honduras, the "I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing begins in five minutes" *joke*, his being sworn into the Presidency of the world's leading creditor nation and turning into the world's leading debtor nation, and on and on. I don't, frankly, give a shit if the senile old git once managed to mumble a decent quip or two. No one should ever look past all the really horrible things that he led this nation to enough to quote him. He, like Trump, should never be normalized.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Knee jerk much?
You do realize that she was quoting (selectively) St. Ronnie to make her point that is diametrically opposed to the Rethuglicans stand. Think of it as superior snark.
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Pedant alert: that's not actually true
--

Drew
New It's just a proverb. :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New There's the MM I remember!
First day of a Democratic House, and the only elected institution with the capacity to stop the Teabaggers from destroying the national government, and Mike yells about how horrible the new Democratic Speaker is.

Bravo!!

;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Hey, now! I didn't say she was horrible.
I said she did a horrible thing. That's different. ;0)
bcnu,
Mikem

New Bs. Didn't say the full term out of respect for headline rules
Bullshit. Simple as that. Saint Ronnie was an asshole of course, you are right but so what? In this case she was trying to find the Republicans who had an allegiance to Saint Ronnie which in turn would allow them to support her in what she is doing. What the fuck is wrong with you?
New Re: What's wrong with me?
Too many folks around thinking like you do.
bcnu,
Mikem

Absolutely disgusting. - (mmoffitt) - (10)
         Do you have an issue with what was said, or just who said it? -NT - (malraux) - (1)
             Who said it. - (mmoffitt)
         Knee jerk much? - (hnick)
         "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             Pedant alert: that's not actually true - (drook) - (1)
                 It's just a proverb. :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         There's the MM I remember! - (Another Scott) - (3)
             Hey, now! I didn't say she was horrible. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                 Bs. Didn't say the full term out of respect for headline rules - (crazy) - (1)
                     Re: What's wrong with me? - (mmoffitt)

Sit down there, you. Your WoMS have no effect on me anymore.
53 ms