the rather dull Christian groups (as they morphed through Calvinist masochists, spawned our very own Puritans--pretty much ejected from Europe--allowed to spawn on these shores. Is it pre irony that Suleiman I was succeeded by a nebbish, presumably by accident of Laws ..as led to the misfortunes of our-fair Century and the current Turk-dictator-while-'democrat'? By any lights though, mojo is in short supply now and for the foreseeable.

As to that most-democratic attitude -vs- the hypocrisy of Christian bastardy, I'd have to rate the described 6 minus 1 = 5; 5 minus ... 2 minus the Last == a Dear Leader, as pretty thick-headed (or beheaded) reasoning, especially if the present Dear Leader adheres. This presents evidence that their fortunes declined on some similar sinking-rate as say, 1968 to current here in the Land [..where all men are created Equal. Save for the men you bought.]

My ignorance is large, but past peripatetic investigations suggest that the Peak-'goodness' can rarely/never? be sustained long; does pernicious intrusion of the mobs account for these declining peaks, where a one was hoping for plateaus--in your much larger experience of the more perspicuous scribes?
(If it does, then perhaps our recent examples are correct): we're fucking Doomed, next. More likely than not.

Cheerily/under the circumstances wherein Truthiness can get you jailed. Or at least, demoted.