IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Storage
I won’t even tell you how much this cost, except to say that I seldom spend as little as this at the corner grocer. Two terabytes. Fuck. Me.

“pina”/

cordially,
New nice
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New 2 *T*b? Where did you get that?
I just got a 2Tb external drive and it's about halfway between deck of cards and pulp paperback size.
--

Drew
New Re: 2 *T*b? Where did you get that?
Here, for one.

cordially,
New Holy ****!
Did memory suddenly get cheap? That price seems ... implausible?
--

Drew
New Hard to believe!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Odds are it's fake.
Shoddy Chinese makers have been doing that with memory cards for years.

Wade.
New Remember Gibson/'SpinRite'™ ? Wonder how long it'd take to check
..every bloody byte {{sigh}} ... or maybe say, "tilt"?
(Haven't checked-in on Gibson in eons.. and that used to boot on MSDOS ...
but it surely did do the stuff he claimed.. as you watched the magic on-screen.) ∑ in Assy. Language.
New Probably fake.
Configured to report 2TB but copied data will either be corrupted or just copy over the same areas repeatedly. There's a decent chance it's filled with malware too.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Re: Probably fake.
I’ll let you know. I reformatted the thing for Mac use, will fill it up with VIDEO_TS files and see how it works out.

cordially,
New Re: Probably fake.
I appear to have been had. Fifteen dollars i’ll never have back again.

Sob!

Shit.

credulously,
Expand Edited by rcareaga Dec. 22, 2018, 11:47:02 PM EST
New So ok what did the OS actually claim it had
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Re: So ok what did the OS actually claim it had
The OS claims 2TB. The OS also informs me that it is unable to write a 10K text file to the device.

A relatively inexpensive reminder that a spot of due diligence is always sound practice, and that if it’s too good to be true it is probably neither true nor good.

cordially,
New Tell eBay.
I hear they don't like people selling fraudulent product.

Wade.
New Are they better than Amazon?
Because they don't seem to care.
--

Drew
New Dunno. Never had to do it.
But they do encourage people to report shonky products. One problem with this is the whack-a-mole effect as banned sellers can just open another account.

But also report 1 star on the feedback. That _will_ get the sellers attention as many live in deathly fear of less-than-perfect feedback. You can tell because of how many listings ask you to rate them 5 stars or contact them first to sort out any problems if you don't want to give them 5 stars.

Wade.
Expand Edited by static Dec. 25, 2018, 02:42:20 AM EST
New No kidding.
I bought, from a seller on Amazon, a USB floppy drive (to retrieve one shit low-res JPEG off a single floppy disc) for £6. It didn't work. Turns out that the specific drive in question just doesn't work with Windows 10 - something to do with an iffy USB device ID that Windows 7 and earlier was happy to let slide.

The device was listed as being compatible with Windows 10. I posted a one-star review saying that if one lists a device as working with Windows 10, it had better damn work with Windows 10, and started looking for another device.

The vendor was falling-over-themselves apologetic - offering a refund or a replacement drive. I opted for the replacement as retrieval of the contents of the disc was a priority task, on the understanding that my computer runs Windows 10, and this drive absolutely 100% needs to work on Windows 10. Replacement drive was sent, and lo, it did indeed work.

And then the pleading began. Please change your review. After all we sent you a working drive! Oh, go on. 1 star reviews are bad for us. Pleeeeeeeease change your review. And so on, and so forth, and et cetera.

Did I change my review?

Did I, fuck.
New I'd still like to view whatever be your Heads-Up to Ebayatron..
(Steal a few pointers, maybe?) oblig. ;^>

PS: IIRC they/ePay Will get you a refund, but I'd rather see the video of the brigands all tarred avec feathers, whether in China or ..Georgia?
     Storage - (rcareaga) - (17)
         nice -NT - (boxley)
         2 *T*b? Where did you get that? - (drook) - (2)
             Re: 2 *T*b? Where did you get that? - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 Holy ****! - (drook)
         Hard to believe! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Odds are it's fake. - (static) - (1)
             Remember Gibson/'SpinRite'™ ? Wonder how long it'd take to check - (Ashton)
         Probably fake. - (malraux) - (8)
             Re: Probably fake. - (rcareaga) - (7)
                 Re: Probably fake. - (rcareaga) - (2)
                     So ok what did the OS actually claim it had -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                         Re: So ok what did the OS actually claim it had - (rcareaga)
                 Tell eBay. - (static) - (3)
                     Are they better than Amazon? - (drook) - (2)
                         Dunno. Never had to do it. - (static) - (1)
                             No kidding. - (pwhysall)
         I'd still like to view whatever be your Heads-Up to Ebayatron.. - (Ashton)

There is such a thing as dinner plates and what goes on them is mightily disappointing.
137 ms