IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The mace thing is weird
The mace represents the Queen's authority in Parliament; without it being present in the chamber, Parliament cannot pass any laws. So, when Lloyd Russell-Moyle picked it up, Parliament temporarily paused until a couple of men in tights and with swords (not joking) put it back.

The oddness of it all aside, it was a hugely symbolic gesture. MPs generally have deep respect for the traditions of Westminster, as you'd expect for a Parliament that's been working more-or-less unbroken for 900 years.

He was making the point that in his view, the Government (and Parliament in general) had given up its right to govern, by its conduct.
Expand Edited by pwhysall Dec. 11, 2018, 11:35:04 AM EST
New That actually makes a certain amount of sense.
The whole sentence though with backbenchers this and mace that and so on reads like something out of a cricket match to someone who knows neither British government particulars nor cricket.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Australian Parliament is similar.
There are lots of weird rituals like that in our House, too.

Rituals are actually kind of good for how humans think because they confer a type of authority on some_thing_ as opposed to some_one_ which means the some_one_ can't arbitrarily change the rules because it's only a some_thing_. I'm sure I haven't phrased that properly.

Wade.
     So May called off the Brexit vote. -NT - (malraux) - (18)
         Brexit-exit? "April Fool! ..umm ..we didn't really Mean it.. ... ..." 'K? -NT - (Ashton)
         Delaying embarrassment. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Desperation. - (pwhysall) - (15)
             Yup. And yup the Cheese Submarine twitter thread is genius. -NT - (Another Scott)
             When she gets those fishing rights... - (malraux) - (5)
                 The best explanation I've seen is from Tony Jay at Balloon-Juice - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     I hadn't heard about making it binding. Interesting. -NT - (malraux)
                 The mace thing is weird - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     That actually makes a certain amount of sense. - (malraux)
                     Australian Parliament is similar. - (static)
             Oh my, that thread tho. - (malraux) - (3)
                 And ... - (drook) - (2)
                     Lots of cheddar in the comments for sure. - (malraux) - (1)
                         Hey! .. this ain't Monterey, Jack.. -NT - (Ashton)
             I have only limited access to information about the UK, but - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                 Why is that so incredulous? - (pwhysall)
             Thank Cthulhu youse Brits have a tribe-wide Sense of Humo(u)r: - (Ashton) - (1)
                 You had a few drook left out! :) - (a6l6e6x)

Microphone check, microphone check. Can I get a check-up from the neck up?
53 ms