IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Desperation.
She's out of options. She was always going to lose and lose badly. Now she's bought herself some time (maybe, read on!) to go and have a bit of a grovel around Europe to see if she can't get a fishing rights morsel here, or a NI backstop tidbit there.

However, there's a three-hour debate today and I'm not 100% clear whether, if the House decides after the debate to have a vote on whether to have the vote, it's binding or not.

It's a shocking abrogation of responsibility and democracy, in any event. If you rock up to the Commons with a big pile of shit, that everyone's been pointing out is a big pile of shit for literally weeks, you don't get to kick the having-your-big-pile-of-shit-adjudged-to-be-a-big-pile-of-shit can down the road without consequences.

The next few days are critical for May. I think there's a very non-zero chance that she'll be gone (or the going will get started) by the end of the week. The alternatives are all genuinely piss-awful, though. I think the least-ghastly options are probably Rudd or McVey. (Side note - this would be the third female leader and third female PM that the Conservatives have had; Labour is still zero for zero on this...)

But this Conservative government has a habit of letting the slenderman Jeremy Hunt fail upwards, and that's horrific to contemplate.

ETA: This tweet sums it all up.

https://twitter.com/hugorifkind/status/1072222352035987456

The thing is, the best way to understand Theresa May’s predicament is to imagine that 52 percent of Britain had voted that the government should build a submarine out of cheese.

Aside: this keyboard is all sorts of awesome on which to type :D
Expand Edited by pwhysall Dec. 11, 2018, 02:08:09 AM EST
New Yup. And yup the Cheese Submarine twitter thread is genius.
New When she gets those fishing rights...
... best not go fishing for the type of fish that enjoy a good Double Gloucester then.

I read yesterday that they had 28 letters towards a vote of no-confidence, over half way there IIRC.

The original referendum was non-binding. Why tie yourself to that big boat o' cheese if it was basically a lark in the first place? That's the part I haven't understood throughout all of this. Take it as advisory, do a study, make all of this BS come out without committing to the BS in the first place, and then say "hey, now that you see all of the lies and BS, can we stop with the cheese boat now?" Probably just me being naive.

Tangential: we were marveling around the dinner table last night about some particularly British governmental machinery description that I read in an article. I'm repeating from memory, but it was something like "A Labour backbencher was ejected from Commons for seizing the ceremonial mace." Now, I can guess what most of that means, but it was an interesting string of words that definitely do not mean the same thing when used in other contexts.

Also, "Crispin Blunt" is a wonderfully English name to my colonial ears. "Jacob Rees-Mogg" is another.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New The best explanation I've seen is from Tony Jay at Balloon-Juice
I believe he said that Parliament voted to make the results of the referendum binding (after the fact).

https://www.balloon-juice.com/2018/11/15/someone-sounds-nervous/#comment-7089106

https://www.balloon-juice.com/2018/11/15/someone-sounds-nervous/#comment-7089149

https://www.balloon-juice.com/2018/11/19/monday-morning-open-thread-laugh-to-keep-from-crying/#comment-7092862

https://www.balloon-juice.com/2018/11/19/monday-morning-open-thread-laugh-to-keep-from-crying/#comment-7092892

https://www.balloon-juice.com/2018/12/11/late-night-transatlantic-open-thread-leave-means-leave/#comment-7116495

They really need to call for another referendum, the people need to vote Remain, and then they need to get on with governing. And (all parties) picking leaders with the "guts" to do what's actually best for the country...

Cheers,
Scott.
New I hadn't heard about making it binding. Interesting.
Regards,
-scott
New The mace thing is weird
The mace represents the Queen's authority in Parliament; without it being present in the chamber, Parliament cannot pass any laws. So, when Lloyd Russell-Moyle picked it up, Parliament temporarily paused until a couple of men in tights and with swords (not joking) put it back.

The oddness of it all aside, it was a hugely symbolic gesture. MPs generally have deep respect for the traditions of Westminster, as you'd expect for a Parliament that's been working more-or-less unbroken for 900 years.

He was making the point that in his view, the Government (and Parliament in general) had given up its right to govern, by its conduct.
Expand Edited by pwhysall Dec. 11, 2018, 11:35:04 AM EST
New That actually makes a certain amount of sense.
The whole sentence though with backbenchers this and mace that and so on reads like something out of a cricket match to someone who knows neither British government particulars nor cricket.
Regards,
-scott
New Australian Parliament is similar.
There are lots of weird rituals like that in our House, too.

Rituals are actually kind of good for how humans think because they confer a type of authority on some_thing_ as opposed to some_one_ which means the some_one_ can't arbitrarily change the rules because it's only a some_thing_. I'm sure I haven't phrased that properly.

Wade.
New Oh my, that thread tho.
"Isn’t there a term for sticking with a mistake just because you spent a long time making it?"

"Sunk cost fallacy. Which would also be a good name for a submarine made of cheese."

"We all live in a yellow lump of Brie" is a favorite too.
Regards,
-scott
New And ...
Briexit

Goudabye

Pecorino Remains

Between a Rochefort and a hard place

They Bleu it
--

Drew
New Lots of cheddar in the comments for sure.
Stil, ton of non-cheese-pun jokes as well. 2018 has been a good gruyere for comedy.
Regards,
-scott
New Hey! .. this ain't Monterey, Jack..
New I have only limited access to information about the UK, but
it simply cannot be, can it? That Nigel Farage is the complete idiot he looks and sounds like from over here?
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Why is that so incredulous?
He's an absolute shithouse of a human being.
New Thank Cthulhu youse Brits have a tribe-wide Sense of Humo(u)r:
Culled (from) de-sac:

Briexit
Goudabye
MancheGO
Pecorino Remaino
Laughing Cow.
Blue Cheese passports!

Hang in there, Peter (or assuredly you shall all hang-together (to steal a Colonial-phrase).

PS: ok, penalty for non-reading: Drook beat me tuit ;-/ {sigh} again.
Expand Edited by Ashton Dec. 11, 2018, 04:05:42 PM EST
New You had a few drook left out! :)
Sometimes a laugh makes sad things bearable.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     So May called off the Brexit vote. -NT - (malraux) - (18)
         Brexit-exit? "April Fool! ..umm ..we didn't really Mean it.. ... ..." 'K? -NT - (Ashton)
         Delaying embarrassment. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Desperation. - (pwhysall) - (15)
             Yup. And yup the Cheese Submarine twitter thread is genius. -NT - (Another Scott)
             When she gets those fishing rights... - (malraux) - (5)
                 The best explanation I've seen is from Tony Jay at Balloon-Juice - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     I hadn't heard about making it binding. Interesting. -NT - (malraux)
                 The mace thing is weird - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     That actually makes a certain amount of sense. - (malraux)
                     Australian Parliament is similar. - (static)
             Oh my, that thread tho. - (malraux) - (3)
                 And ... - (drook) - (2)
                     Lots of cheddar in the comments for sure. - (malraux) - (1)
                         Hey! .. this ain't Monterey, Jack.. -NT - (Ashton)
             I have only limited access to information about the UK, but - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                 Why is that so incredulous? - (pwhysall)
             Thank Cthulhu youse Brits have a tribe-wide Sense of Humo(u)r: - (Ashton) - (1)
                 You had a few drook left out! :) - (a6l6e6x)

But if you draw a bow, draw the STRONG-est! YEEEEESSS! And if you use an arrow, use the LONGEST! OH YES!!
73 ms