IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A little treat for me
I got a modest bonus at work, so I've treated myself to a new keyboard.

Whereas Scott keeps buying cameras in the hope that it'll improve his photos (it won't), I keep buying keyboards in the hope that it'll improve my writing (it won't).

But we're both different flavours of kitfiends, so there you go :D

Logitech G512 Carbon mechanical RGB LED gaming keyboard. I've got the Romer-G Linear keyswitches, for a good compromise between noise and feel. The Romer-G tactile switches have a positive click towards the end of the keystroke, like the buckling-spring switches in the IBM Model M of yore, but this comes at a huge noise cost.

The keyboard itself is very solidly built, with a solid piece of aluminium forming the basic substrate. It's very compact with no extraneous nonsense. The RGB stuff is cool if you like blinkenlights, and we all like blinkenlights. You can address each key individually and there are all sorts of funky animation effects available. There's a software thinger that drives all that.

All this RGB LED means that there's two USB connectors on the cord, to provide sufficient power. And yes, I got a corded keyboard because for a desktop PC, cordless input devices are just a frivolous waste and if you've got one you're bad and you should feel bad and just get a corded one and stop murdering the planet with your insatiable thirst for AAs. Or something. Eh, fuck it. I'll be dead before those chickens come home to roost, so whatever, I guess.

The previous keyboard was a Razer Deathstalker which I got for the promise of low noise. And yes, it's virtually silent, but the feel is pretty terribad, and actually gives me sore hands after an hour or so. I gave it a fair shake for a couple of years, but that was enough. It's now a spare keyboard, and might find itself permanently connected to the Xbox.
Expand Edited by pwhysall Dec. 5, 2018, 10:55:51 AM EST
New So what do you need that upper case 4 for? :)
I like the right hand, left hand backlight color coding.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Re: So what do you need that upper case 4 for? :)
Actually that image is a little misleading, because I have a UK layout keyboard.

Note how I get a proper-sized RETURN key.

The colour-coding is all dynamic - you can have every key a different colour, if you like. There are also animated options - I have a rainbow colour wave thing by default. I'm probably going to see about setting up something for Photoshop/Lightroom to highlight the keys I know I need but always forget about.
New All right then!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Heh. ;-) Good keyboards are important.
I've still got some IBM clicker keyboards around. My office-mate at work hated the noise, so I got one of these a few years ago, and added some O-rings to quiet it further. It's not bad, but the IBMs are better. If one can tolerate the noise.

I've got the same keyboard at home and the left shift key sticks sometimes. Gotta fix it one of these days...

Enjoy!

I think I've got enough cameras for a while. ;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
     A little treat for me - (pwhysall) - (4)
         So what do you need that upper case 4 for? :) - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             Re: So what do you need that upper case 4 for? :) - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 All right then! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Heh. ;-) Good keyboards are important. - (Another Scott)

I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do isn't very nice.
47 ms