IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Just got a 2TB external drive to back stuff up
First thing I'm doing is grabbing all my pics from Google Photos. Their backup process automatically splits it into 2GB zip files.

I've got 126 of them.
--

Drew
New that's a lot of files!

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar" 1897
New It would take a lifetime to look at them! :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New I am an outlier.
I curate my pictures. If I take a couple or three dozen photos at a gig*, for example, I will end up keeping perhaps two or three. My "camera roll" directory (I've had "upload to OneDrive" turned on forever) has 1,417 pictures in it, going back four years. I really don't understand keeping ten pictures all of the same thing, from fractionally different angles. If you've got TB of photos, you're literally only going to look at a tiny fraction.

I am aware that I'm very much in the minority here**.

That said, if you (royal "you") put a post on FB that says "drook added 150 pictures to the album 'pavements, sidewalks and other concrete flooring structures'", that's a pretty good way to ensure that I will never look at any of them.

[teach the controversy!]Stop taking pictures, you fuckers! Enjoy things! Experience things! Remember things! If you must take a photo, take ONE or perhaps TWO! Not everything needs to be recorded forever![/teach the controversy]
*I'm increasingly not taking pictures at gigs at all. I certainly didn't take any band shots at the recent Slayer gig, despite it being their farewell tour. Beardy selfie with mates, etc. and that was it.
**I'm not a packrat for anything, digital or corporeal
New We select about a dozen from the pictures we take each month
And send those in a nicely formatted fashion (on good photo paper) to the various relatives, accompanied by a letter explaining what we've been up to and why those photos are significant.

I have a lot of dross in my photo collection mainly because I can't be bothered to sort through them.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New When I was younger if it didn't fit in a backpack I didn't need it
Now if it doesn't fit in the RV I don't need it. Good thing the 55" tv fits
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Yeah, I know
A lot of the volume - I would guess about half - is video. That still means $way_too_many pics. I need a methodical way to prune the pile, or no one will ever look at any of it.
--

Drew
New Videos are a killer on storage for sure.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New When I made my er, shape-shifting change,
My rule became: it all must fit within a car-trunk/ not a 2 tonne van.
This worked for n-years, just fine (myTee Vee was the bitchin 5" Sony Trinitron, a marvel of its type-and-time
--up close it is ~ a kodachrome slide. (Useless now, natch. and the sucker weighed ~18 pounds-not-Sterling.)

Alas, with this plot to maintain and remaining techno labelled test-gear ... then there are Books..
well, you know..
New You're not an outlier.
My photo taking is also highly selective. On trips they are usually reminders of memory, not replacements. It means slideshows for friends need commentary. :-)

I remember when I visited New York there was at least one whole afternoon I put the camera away because I got sick of looking at the place through a camera lens.

Wade.
New When it's me and the wife I do that
It's when we're doing something with the kids that I get shutter diarrhea, so I can show Grandma when we get home. I just need to start pruning the collection after showing her.
--

Drew
     Just got a 2TB external drive to back stuff up - (drook) - (10)
         that's a lot of files! -NT - (lincoln)
         It would take a lifetime to look at them! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (8)
             I am an outlier. - (pwhysall) - (7)
                 We select about a dozen from the pictures we take each month - (malraux)
                 When I was younger if it didn't fit in a backpack I didn't need it - (boxley)
                 Yeah, I know - (drook) - (1)
                     Videos are a killer on storage for sure. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                 When I made my er, shape-shifting change, - (Ashton)
                 You're not an outlier. - (static) - (1)
                     When it's me and the wife I do that - (drook)

WORA
118 ms