IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I believe that when you request it, it will say it has to do it on startup.
New Correct
Launch CMD from a regular desktop session, but you have to use the "Run as admin" option from the context menu. The boot drive is mounted and that will trigger a "Do you want to schedule this on the next boot?" prompt. Answer Y and reboot.

If all goes well, you'll get a "last chance to abort" screen and then CHKDSK will go off to the races.

Depending on the size of the HDD and the amount of work needed to piece things back together, it is not unusual for this to take an hour or more.

Some laptops also have a non-destructive HDD test in the BIOS. It may be worth looking in to that first. These days the option just exercises the HDD's built-in diagnostics. There's a 2 minute short version which will catch 90% of problems and a long version which will check the entire platter. Run the short test first. If it passes, run the long one. If either fails => time to replace the disk.
New Thanks, will kick off before bed tonight
--

Drew
New That wasn't what I expected
I never even saw a progress bar or spinner. It completed nearly instantly. So quickly, in fact, that I strongly suspect it didn't actually scan anything.

Is there any log file I can check to see what it did?
--

Drew
New Re: That wasn't what I expected
New This isn't SSD
--

Drew
New Indeed not
It should be pretty obvious. CHKDSK runs before the GUI takes over and the display is a text only frame buffer type. It goes through a number of stages and reports progress along the way.

Possible stupid trick : issue CD \ before running the CHKDSK command :-/

https://www.windowsdigital.com/how-to-run-chkdsk-windows-10-cmd-before-boot/
New Trying again tonight, thanks
--

Drew
New Well, it ran ...
Any way to see what it found?
--

Drew
New Application event log
Look for the wininit and chkdsk event sources
New Re: Well, it ran ...
check the link I gave above
New Nothing interesting
Guess the disk is OK, just bogged down running recent Windows on old hardware.
--

Drew
     Memories are made of this - (rcareaga) - (28)
         Chromebooks are very tempting for user-spaces like that. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Wish I'd seen that last week - (drook)
         I have a 3yo winders 10 box - (boxley) - (1)
             Chrome for me - (drook)
         Andecdotally, if he has to stick with winders ... - (mmoffitt)
         find out what's running behind the scenes - (lincoln) - (15)
             as to Ubuntu - (rcareaga)
             2 other popular reasons for Windows to go the beach - (scoenye) - (13)
                 Details? - (drook) - (12)
                     I believe that when you request it, it will say it has to do it on startup. -NT - (Another Scott) - (11)
                         Correct - (scoenye) - (10)
                             Thanks, will kick off before bed tonight -NT - (drook) - (9)
                                 That wasn't what I expected - (drook) - (8)
                                     Re: That wasn't what I expected - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                         This isn't SSD -NT - (drook)
                                     Indeed not - (scoenye) - (5)
                                         Trying again tonight, thanks -NT - (drook) - (4)
                                             Well, it ran ... - (drook) - (3)
                                                 Application event log - (scoenye)
                                                 Re: Well, it ran ... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                     Nothing interesting - (drook)
         SSD and a clean install = fixed - (pwhysall) - (6)
             Re: SSD and a clean install = fixed - (rcareaga) - (5)
                 I'm going to second the 4Gb RAM thing. - (static) - (3)
                     That was because of the Outlook webmail portal ;-) - (scoenye) - (2)
                         Yabut I don't use those. - (static) - (1)
                             We may not - (scoenye)
                 Prices have been falling since the bitminers stopped buying everything. - (Another Scott)

I wanted to request installing a suggestion box at work, but I had no way of doing it.
84 ms