IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I served with a guy who did that
He was commanding an artillery battery in Iraq. They got out ahead of their armored support and Iraqi tanks started rushing them up a hill.

The 155mm Howitzer is calibrated for indirect fire. But when you're facing tanks and all you've got is small arms and Howitzers, you throw out the safety guidelines, jack up the trail legs, and shoot straight downhill.
--

Drew
New M109?
It does have a direct fire aiming plate. Things get interesting when you compare the ranges on that plate to the lethal perimeter of the HE shells...
New Might have been, but that's not what they did
They were emplaced and getting ready to support an offensive, but the Iraqis saw them before armored cav was ready. So instead of blocking the retreat, they ended up going on the offensive. They didn't have time to do anything but jack the legs up and eyeball it.

And speaking of lethal perimeter ... I went to cover a CAX as a combat correspondent and wanted to get some good artillery photos. I asked the CO how far to the side I needed to be if I wanted to be forward of the firing line. He told me to stay outside the aiming stakes and gave me some ear protection.

I set up with my knee against the stake, so I was between 30 & 45 degrees out of line and about 30 meters out. Every time they fired the camera body rang like a bell. And that wasn't even the explosive, just the propellant.
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook Nov. 5, 2018, 07:40:16 PM EST
     Kraut Night. - (Andrew Grygus) - (17)
         Omigawd.. - (Ashton) - (6)
             Well, I did . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                 An admirable selection, wish I could have flown in but the Lear-jet needs new tires. - (Ashton)
                 I served with a guy who did that - (drook) - (2)
                     M109? - (scoenye) - (1)
                         Might have been, but that's not what they did - (drook)
                 Not quite on the Flak 88 - (scoenye)
         Kraut night is kraut with Polish Kielbasa at my house. - (a6l6e6x) - (6)
             Aye, indeed! - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                 Kim Chee has been around for a while as well - (boxley) - (2)
                     Re: Kim Chee has been around for a while as well - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                         Neat! Thanks for the info -NT - (boxley)
                 Aldi’s has one from Germany that pretty decent. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     The all-time worst sauerkraut came in a plastic bag. - (Andrew Grygus)
         Jews in Uzbekistan. - (static) - (2)
             Jewish Autonomous Oblast in Russia - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 If they were from what is now North Korea, they would almost certainly stay. - (static)

Man, what a sad thing to be known for...
91 ms