1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Are MythTV boxes still a thing?
--

Drew
New They are.
Had mine for more than a decade. Been through several PCs and tuner cards, though.

However I retired it a few months ago and went for a DVR supplied by my ISP, mostly so I can get catch-up TV integration.

Wade.
New MythTV has trouble with encrypted channels.
Supposedly CableCARD is supposed to do the magic to let you see encrypted channels, but there are noises that some outfits are encrypting everything now.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mythtv+encrypted+channels

I signed up for YouTubeTV when it was $35 a month. (It's $40 now.) Still haven't used it, but they keep adding more channels all the time. We have AcornTV for the British murder mysteries, etc., also too. (And Prime, but we've never streamed anything from Amazon either.)

I'd be surprised if MythTV were worth the hassle, unless you have a lot of free time, love a challenge, and love to tinker. The cable companies are going to force us all to cut the cord, but they don't care because they're busy becoming WiFi vendors, movie and TV studios, phone companies, etc., etc. They think they'll get our money one way or another...

Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
     Time to look at a dedicated DVR - (drook) - (15)
         That it is a low blow on their part! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Re: Time to look at a dedicated DVR - (lincoln) - (7)
             If you're going OTA, I can recommend Channel Master DVR+ - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                 Are MythTV boxes still a thing? -NT - (drook) - (2)
                     They are. - (static)
                     MythTV has trouble with encrypted channels. - (Another Scott)
             Curious.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Re: Curious.. - (lincoln) - (1)
                     (Ditto that last..) - (Ashton)
         Unnecessary - (crazy) - (5)
             Might do that - (drook) - (3)
                 I picked up a dedicated box a couple of years ago - (crazy) - (2)
                     Looks like I can install on a Fire stick - (drook) - (1)
                         I thought that as well - (crazy)
             I can't even be bothered with that - (pwhysall)

Do not ask for whom the bellicose tolls.
66 ms