IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Maybe
If you searched my neighborhood you probably wouldn't find many books for anyone. I know we don't have a bookstore, so the only place you'd find books would be a grocery or convenience store. They only have magazines and maybe some romance paperbacks. I honestly can't think of the nearest place I could go to buy a book for myself.
--

Drew
New It's called Amazon
New Indeed. The Internet is the Intellectual Death of mankind.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New It's not just the internet, this has been building for decades
This person has written extensively about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Kozol

Some of his books:

https://www.amazon.com/Jonathan-Kozol/e/B000AQ3ELQ/ref=dp_byline_cont_pop_book_1

Soon the party will be over. Have a pleasant day.
New Not so at all . . .
. . unless intellectual death is what you're looking for. That has always been easily found with or without the Internet.

For my needs, the Internet is just the opposite, as it greatly relieves the burden of mindless and fruitless research.

Every subject investigated, even a single word, instantly provides hundreds of easily followed avenues to related and unrelated subjects. Subjects that one would not otherwise be aware of.

My Web site, www.clovegarden.com, a massive repository of food information, and other subjects, could not exist without the Internet. On paper, only a tiny portion could be published (and only if i had large amounts of cash on hand for the expenses) and it would be much more difficult to use (no instant cross linking).

It could also not be anywhere near as accurate, as I can, and do, cross check just about everything with multiple sources - and am constantly on the watch for corrections or enhancements. Corrections can be applied in a matter of seconds.

Years ago, I transitioned my botanical information from Cronquist to APG II in a day or so. How do you do that if you've published on paper?

I remember the pre-Internet days where folks would read one book, take it as gospel, and start preaching from it. "The Coming Ice Age" was a perfect example. Today, such a devotion to a single source would quickly fall apart and be exposed to ridicule.

On the other hand, if what you're looking for is intellectual death, you can certainly find that on the Internet as well.

And, hey, you can also find a wealth of old Communist tracts there.
New You don't have a library! Impoverished indeed
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Premise was "it didn’t have a single store selling a book for preschoolers"
Libraries do have occasional sales of older books to clear shelf space, but except for that one week per year no, they're not selling books there.
--

Drew
New I have 3 barnes and noble within 10 miles
More if you go further out. But I am 10 miles from major metropolitan area. For those in the sticks, of course the density doesn't allow for it, especially in the days of quick and easy access to most information on the internet.

Kids books are hand me downs (or across from relatives or neighbors). How many "new" Dr Suess or Hardy Boys are there? I remember cleaning out my house, and reaching for the kids books to take. My daughter stopped me (I was thinking future grandkids, she didn't have any yet) and kept them all, knowing some day she'd want them. Now for Christmas they have a challenge, get the kids books they don't already have. Ahh, my many bookshelf library (memory, all gone) seems small compared to their collection.
     APM Reports: Hard Words: Why Aren't Our Kids Being Taught to Read? - (Ashton) - (11)
         Jesus H tap dancing Christ on a pogo stick! We've never hit 40% reading proficiency?!!111!ONE!??! -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Access? - (dmcarls) - (8)
             Maybe - (drook) - (7)
                 It's called Amazon -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                     Indeed. The Internet is the Intellectual Death of mankind. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                         It's not just the internet, this has been building for decades - (dmcarls)
                         Not so at all . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                 You don't have a library! Impoverished indeed -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                     Premise was "it didn’t have a single store selling a book for preschoolers" - (drook) - (1)
                         I have 3 barnes and noble within 10 miles - (crazy)
         Not quite as long, but shorter: - (CRConrad)

Spam-Corpus: Non-ISO extended-ASCII mail text, with very long lines
97 ms