IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Is this good or bad?
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/03/health/period-leave-australia-explainer-intl/index.html

#1 I've had multiple women bosses who were ass kicking. I don't ask about their periods and they don't tell me, none of my goddamn business.

#2 Every personal experience I've had with a woman says I need to be careful during pms time. The current wife is awesome, ie: no deadly pms time, but that doesn't mean I won't be aware.

So, they go fucking nuts for a day or so, at least those I've been exposed to and I KNOW what's going on , vs those that either have no detrimental mental effects or are not affected and truly have no issues or can hide it.

Is this a reality we should be dealing with or a sexist attitude we should adjust?
New That's why they invented PTO
Doesn't matter if you are sick, nuts or on Vaca
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Untrue
If it is appropriate for guys to get X days pto, then women should get X+Y if they get PMS.

Or is this a sexist attitude that should be addressed?
New Too many variables for an off-the-cuff answer
I believe some women sometimes have symptoms severe enough to need the time off. I also believe some of them recognize when that's what's happening and some of them get offended at any suggestion that they're affected by it.

And of course some who don't "need" the time will ask for it anyway. Which is all the excuse some men will need to demand they get the same time off.
--

Drew
New No
New why? if you get 20 days a year for sick, vaca etc why should i care
that you actually get sick 15 of the 20 ffs not my (or the companies) problem
New X days/year for sick?
lolololol
New Re: Is this good or bad?
FTFNYT from 2017:

Recently Akanksha Seda got in her car at 10:30 a.m., as usual, and rode 45 minutes to her company’s office in Mumbai, India. A few hours later, she got her period and, she recalled, “the eighteen-wheeler truckload of cramps.”

Rather than popping painkillers and working through it, as she used to, Ms. Seda went to her supervisor and informed him she was taking the day off.

For many Indian women, that would be considered a bold move. Periods are a taboo subject, and discussing cramps with a man can be embarrassing for some, Ms. Seda said.

But at Culture Machine, the digital media company where she works, she was entitled to the day off. This month, the company put in place a “menstrual leave policy,” allowing women to take a paid day off during their period without dipping into sick days or vacation time.

It is one of a handful of private Indian companies to have started such policies in recent months. Menstrual leaves are recognized in few other countries, among them Japan, Taiwan, Indonesia, South Korea and Zambia.

The move has set off fierce debate, not just in India but around the world. Experts say the spread of such policies — despite their best intentions — could actually deter women’s progress in the workplace.

The additional days off could be used to justify lower pay or increase hiring bias against women, critics say. Absences could push women out of decision-making roles and eliminate them from consideration for promotions.

And these policies may play into a decades-old prejudice that menstruation makes women unfit for work.

[...]

A 2012 study found that 20 percent of women experience periods painful enough to interfere with daily activities. While it is important to acknowledge their experiences, Ms. Martin said, a menstrual leave policy does more than that: It brands every woman who menstruates as ill.

It would be better, she said, to develop an overall leave policy for men and women to take time off for a host of reasons, including chronic medical conditions.

[...]

Agreed on that last bit. Ideally, people who need time off for pain, or for dialysis, or for regular visits to doctors of various kinds, or to get their kid somewhere, should be able to just take the time off and shouldn't need to use particular kinds of leave.

Having someone writhing around on the ladies' room couch because they're in horrible pain isn't helping anyone. They should be able to be home in bed without having to explain to prying co-workers why they are home.

I don't know how to implement such a "take leave if you need to" policy. And, sure, some horrible bosses would use a dedicated "menstrual cramp leave" policy to discriminate against hiring young women.

Dunno how one can square the circle, here. But the leave is clearly needed for more than a few women.

How's that for waffling?? ;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New M has decreed
Screw 'em.

Making up numbers here:

If 10% of the female population either go insane or are in agony or both (pretty much every female family member I have plus my x wife (try to imagine a household where their hormones synced up, happened together)) for a few days a month why should it be treated differently then any other chronic illness?

Get a doctor's note, take time as needed, BUT:
If the condition affects your ability to do your job, and the job is one of full time responsibility, then do not take the job. Or be ok when you are forced out.

You don't give an untreated manic depressive schizophrenic occasionally violent unpredictable person a position of responsibility, why is this different?
Expand Edited by crazy Oct. 5, 2018, 01:06:18 PM EDT
New POTUS is not a position of responsibility, then? >:-)
New Key word: untreated
Not every woman suffers debilitating periods, whether through luck or suitable treatment. It seems reasonable to say that if you're going to claim a day or two off every month at unpredictable times not under your control, that maybe you shouldn't be in a role that doesn't allow that flexibility.
--

Drew
New Exactly
10% of women (ignoring the additional 10% who suffer but are not incapacitated), ie: 5% of the population should not cause my non-suffering wife to be discriminated against.
     Is this good or bad? - (crazy) - (11)
         That's why they invented PTO - (boxley) - (5)
             Untrue - (crazy) - (4)
                 Too many variables for an off-the-cuff answer - (drook)
                 No -NT - (boxley)
                 why? if you get 20 days a year for sick, vaca etc why should i care - (boxley) - (1)
                     X days/year for sick? - (pwhysall)
         Re: Is this good or bad? - (Another Scott)
         M has decreed - (crazy) - (3)
             POTUS is not a position of responsibility, then? >:-) -NT - (scoenye) - (2)
                 Key word: untreated - (drook) - (1)
                     Exactly - (crazy)

Low-tech innovation with ordinary food items wins.
64 ms