IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Bit long on marketing, short on substance
Somehow, I don't think Zuckerburg will be too worried, and Google not at all.

If the PODs end up on a centralized server, it's just waiting until the IPO before any and all promises of privacy go *poof*.

If P2P, good luck keeping the POD secure (Inrupt up to date...) on ~1B computers. This will be running on residential connections. Besides being on the slow side of the connection, expect heavy users (think current Youtube producers) to get a cease and desist from their ISP. And make sure you PC stays on and doesn't throw a disk.
New Re: Bit long on marketing, short on substance
Today, Thomas tackles his work tasks, scheduling, health and lifestyle challenges using a bunch of different apps. It’s complicated, inconvenient and there’s lots of data living in lots of different places.

What Thomas really needs is one fluid, useful and controllable experience that lets him streamline his daily personal and professional productivity, and make managing his health a priority. With his Solid app, it’s possible.

So it's basically a way of jamming your work and personal email, to-do and other PIM-y things into one app?

Yeah, fuck that. Work and personal stuff stay far, far apart.
New Not one app, one data structure
[edit now that I'm at a keyboard]

I spent some time reading the site, which is very heavy on marketing speak and light on technical details. But what it feels like to me is a standardized data structure that you can host wherever you want. So you can self-host, or third parties can compete to host your "pod" for you as dumb repositories.

The protocol includes a standard method for defining access permissions, so you can grant other third parties access so they can build apps on top of it.

Given who is behind this, I think he's trying to address the fact that security/identity weren't baked in to http from the beginning. This could be the right design; getting widespread adoption will be hard.
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook Oct. 2, 2018, 12:48:29 PM EDT
New Same diff
Anyone (other than the self-employed) who doesn't diligently segregate the data that drives their personal and work lives is, in my view, being very, very silly indeed.

ETA: and by "segregate" I mean "implement an air gap made of actual air"
Expand Edited by pwhysall Oct. 4, 2018, 12:20:42 AM EDT
New As Peter says...
If it doesn't support people having multiple identities, sometimes at the same time from the same computer, then it's not going to get far enough. This is something Google took a while to learn.

Wade.
New And Facebook is determinedly ignoring it
--

Drew
New It's not so hard with Facebook to have multiple logins.
Unlike Google, Facebook does not have an ecosystem of websites with one unifying account.

OTOH, Facebook does let you post as a "page" in select places. If they really wanted to support multiple logins at once, they have a lot of the hooks needed to do it. But they don't want to. Supporting "posting as a page" suits a lot of reasons they think people would need to.

Wade.
     this may turn out interesting " Inrupt" edit added link - (boxley) - (8)
         Bit long on marketing, short on substance - (scoenye) - (6)
             Re: Bit long on marketing, short on substance - (pwhysall) - (5)
                 Not one app, one data structure - (drook) - (4)
                     Same diff - (pwhysall)
                     As Peter says... - (static) - (2)
                         And Facebook is determinedly ignoring it -NT - (drook) - (1)
                             It's not so hard with Facebook to have multiple logins. - (static)
         There will surely be confusion . . . - (Andrew Grygus)

Six harpies are singin' on the lee!
73 ms