IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New PBS has a new series, “Hidden Killers”
re the mondo hazards at turn of last century, in Victorian houses populated by folk with even greater ignorance of ‘chemistry’, physics than our current crop of dullards-with-game-boxes in their pockets 24/7.

Tonight’s opus showed an early Gilbert’s™ chemistry set, a lot like one I played with as a post-tyke (when ‘home’, being ‘quiet’ as Mater slept prior to work, say.) Vanity aside, yes, I was ‘precocious’ esp. re my earliest obsession: Chem stuff. My kit had the added utility of a roll of Mg-magnesium tape ~ 1/8” wide and thin. This was only a year or two before I discovered ‘Phlogiston’/not its original (wrong-) concept re how “things burned”.

In brief, these primitive ‘sets’ had innocent vials of sulfur, carbon-powder, nitrates etc (no liquid usual-suspect acids, bases and like that.) But many home products provided all the basic chem utility/solvents as we modrins can imagine. The PBS series is about showing (oft newspaper clips of) just How-interesting [also Powerful] were/are the things you can make, do with these elements and their common salts. And the admixture of [n+1] of such. Web-land is rife with extrapolations ... but always there were weirdos 'into' such matters; but NOW
... you needn't be weird to have experienced at least a --> fleeting wondering about.. oh.. maybe "WTF *IS* a -proper- greeting? for an an ad hoc Group of brown-shirted ones ... wandering down Your block, who might like Your pad for their new club-house (and sporting shiny new boots and The Shirts)/for a few: their first-ever set (??) of New Clothes for das neue ad-hoc-Adventure involving Free-will. Und lebensraum.

Point? well, if recent developments have not galvanized thoughts of er, Resistance to [whatever on Your list] … wasn't it Rosanne Rosannadanna’s? quip so often “..never mind.” For those who shall not go quietly into that ‘good’ night, there are those who (with or sans cats) are more like..

Do Not Go Gentle to That Damned Vet by Dylan Thomas's cat, " The Human" by Edgar Allan Poe's cat and other works … Phlogiston, mentioned numerous times in these parts, plus Things you can do with Mg-ribbon may be more useful matters to grok than ..any of us, previously ..would have imagined bothering about.

Recipes available to various of the non-feebleminded … as matters seem unlikely to fix-themselves ‘going —> forward’ as they say (ugh..|mindless-cliche). But for those who do not curse the dark/but find ways to illuminate it quickly (and eschew day-time projects ..for all those cameras-on-poles) ..for these: LIfe's a Beach.

Carrion + some colored powder can indeed become Interesting. Learn to 'titrate' or remain un-equipped, I say.
"Be Prepared" it's the Boy Scout's marching song; T. Lehrer says so. Alas there are other sorts of 'scouts', usually older even middle-aged; pre-pubescent nonetheless.
New What we didn't know "back then".
The Victorian era, just as Industrialization was taking hold, was a time for great experimentation. We marvel now at what over-the-counter cough syrup used to contain! And Victorian homes and factories were not safe places. Because we were learning what "safe" actually meant in the era of industrialization.

I am just a little but too young to have had a chemistry set but they appeared sometimes in the sort of "boys own" fiction I sometimes read. The attitude around how they were put together and sold is definitely a remnant of how "safety" was such an after-thought in earlier times.

Wade.
New I vaguely remember having a chemistry set
I never saw a box, so it was probably a hand-me-down or from a garage sale. And I certainly never got anything resembling directions for how to use it.
--

Drew
New I had a chemestry set . . .
. . but my gunpowder never worked really well. In my tender youth you could go to the local pharmacy and buy nitrates and stuff like that in jars.
New I did the research, bought the sulphur and saltpeter from the drug store
New There was an interesting BBC series about that.
It explored how the modern pharmacy (drug store) came about and how they contributed to an awful lot of modern things! Providing raw chemical ingredients was basically how they started and this survived for a long time as this quickly developed into medicines and then other things like cleaning chemicals and dyes.

Fun fact! Ever wonder why it was the drug store you went to to develop your camera film? Because it was a process that needed specific chemistry. And that was expertise the drug store had in a retail environment. Obvious really. :)

Wade.
New I had one of those.
I remember mixing stuff together with abandon and certainly without any regard for safety. One mixture became extremely exothermic, expanding to about 5x volume and then instantly hardening into a green foam. I wish I remembered what I had put in the test tube.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Holy excreta!
*You* invented ƒake-Vomit™© ... so essential [to millions] as a silent indicator/symbol of nausea --> to display upon hearing any %Drumpf-speak-whatsoever!
(Despite/today: at some "rallyspectacle" it could cause a One bodily harm or worse: sonic harm, should this group be singing Gawd Bless fucking-Murica. say.)
..ya coulda been Rich already :-/
New I had a Gilbert chemistry set as well.
Took a long time to save up the money as my parents had no idea what it was or why one would want one.

I went to a technical high school and had 3 years of Chemistry. One of the courses was qualitative chemistry. Near the end of the course, in the lab part of it, everyone was given a different powder to identify. I was given Potassium Permanganate and identified by sight! Had to run through analysis drill, but that was just for corroboration.

Potassium Permanganate had been in my chemistry kit and is a dark purple crystal. Getting a white powder to identify would have been a different story.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
Expand Edited by a6l6e6x Oct. 2, 2018, 05:59:56 PM EDT
     PBS has a new series, “Hidden Killers” - (Ashton) - (8)
         What we didn't know "back then". - (static) - (1)
             I vaguely remember having a chemistry set - (drook)
         I had a chemestry set . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
             I did the research, bought the sulphur and saltpeter from the drug store -NT - (crazy) - (1)
                 There was an interesting BBC series about that. - (static)
         I had one of those. - (malraux) - (1)
             Holy excreta! - (Ashton)
         I had a Gilbert chemistry set as well. - (a6l6e6x)

No, no. We have to provide potential hostages over there so they won’t look for potential hostages over here.
103 ms