1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Time sink: color theory
--

Drew
New Neat. Plus...
There's all the weirdness and monkeywrenches about when humans first were able to see blue...:

About 150 years ago, a British scholar named William Gladstone was studying Homer’s "The Odyssey" and noticed that the poet had some unconventional descriptions of color. For instance, honey was described as green, while iron was called violet. However, no mention of blue existed. Similar investigations into ancient texts of a number of other languages were also missing any mention of the word blue. In fact, the first mention of blue wasn't found in any language until about 4,500 years ago. Was it possible that they weren’t able to perceive it as we do now?

Psychologist Jules Davidoff traveled to Namibia in order to conduct an experiment with the Himba tribe. Their language has no distinct word for blue, and when asked to choose a blue square among a group of green squares, they had extreme difficulty.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I've seen that
At first I thought that given how far the blue cones' response curve is from red and green that maybe it was a relatively recent development. But then I realized there's no way it would have become nearly universal in that short a time.
--

Drew
New Vox did a video about that.
New Neat ... and a rabbit hole in the recommendations
--

Drew
New And another fun bit.
Long ago, in the days of black and white photography, I did some film developing. In my dark room I needed a very low light level. Years before I had acquired a neon bulb that screwed into a regular medium socket. I used it in the ceiling socket.

The Neon bulb produced a dim orange light. The neon was contaminated with a small amount of argon, which is strong in violet, but so little argon I could barely detect the violet. The odd thing is, with this light I could see full color at a ligh level so low I could normally see no color.
New That's possibly Edwin Land's effect.
Edwin Land's Interesting Accident A 2-Color System

I got to see his lecture at MIT showing the effect. The original Polaroid company that Land created was also in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Recall that development, lots of fun with the Troops as well.
     Time sink: color theory - (drook) - (7)
         Neat. Plus... - (Another Scott) - (3)
             I've seen that - (drook)
             Vox did a video about that. - (static) - (1)
                 Neat ... and a rabbit hole in the recommendations - (drook)
         And another fun bit. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
             That's possibly Edwin Land's effect. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                 Recall that development, lots of fun with the Troops as well. -NT - (Ashton)

They should name these things for their discoverers, like comets.
71 ms