IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I'm looking forward to 12/31/2018 and an end to the "Year of the Woman". A rant.
As most of you know, I am the proud father of two young women. I have no sympathy for men (or women) who engage in any sort of harassment and I believe if that harassment includes touching, then the perpetrator ought to be imprisoned, if not castrated.

All of that said, the over-correction this year is getting tiresome. Serena is a victim because she was properly sanctioned for once again showing her ass on a tennis court; Al Franken has to resign the Senate because he took a sophomoric photograph on a military aircraft while Kirsten Gillebrand is a very real possible candidate for President because, well, she is a woman. There are dozen upon dozen of other examples, but this morning's commute included a segment on NPR I found astounding beyond all others. It was on the dismissal of Jeff Fager of CBS.

The pearl clutching over this is remarkably inane in an era of unconscionable stupidity. The New York Times report this story under the headline ‘60 Minutes’ Chief Ousted for a Threatening Text as Upheaval at CBS Continues. A reader would be forgiven for believing the text message must have been absolutely horrible. But the reader would be wrong. So, what was the most damning part of the text?

“There are people who lost their jobs trying to harm me, and if you pass on these damaging claims without your own reporting to back them up that will become a serious problem.”

That's it. In the year of the woman, you cannot tell a female news reporter to investigate accusations for validity prior to broadcasting them.

We are a stupid, stupid nation and we are going to get dumber. I only hope that the infamously brief attention spans of Americans salvages us at year's end and we'll be on to something else next year.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
Expand Edited by mmoffitt Sept. 13, 2018, 08:32:31 AM EDT
Expand Edited by mmoffitt Sept. 13, 2018, 08:34:12 AM EDT
New Yes and no, but mostly no
You've seen the studies about how much women talk in meetings? People report that women talk more than men in meetings even when they don't. And they usually don't.

I suspect that's what we're seeing now with what you're calling "the year of the woman". Men in power have been - often enough to go ahead and generalize - sexist pigs for as long as any of us have been alive, and we rarely hear about their offenses. Frequently even when we hear about them the system circles around to protect the offenders.

Now we're starting to see cases where the system is failing in favor of women. This is so counter to our expectations that it seems like a serious problem.

Everyone falsely accused and punished is a problem, but so is every true accusation buried or ignored. I'm not saying we should balance the scales by adding more false accusations, just saying the problem women are facing is still in greater need of fixing.
--

Drew
New Kirsten Gillebrand may be a candidate but because she is smart and tough not because she is a woman
next you going to be telling us that they are getting uppity
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Really?
She can FUCK OFF for what she did to Franken. I know it was only her famous snake-like political maneuvering to eliminate perceived competition to her own aspirations, but that alone is enough to condemn her. But, wait! There's more:
She was an attorney then—a partner making half a million dollars a year at Boies, Schiller & Flexner, the law firm now implicated in the Harvey Weinstein scandal and the top source of contributions to her House and Senate campaigns. Upon winning, she became a member of the Blue Dog Coalition of conservative Democrats. She supported a balanced budget amendment and a ban on deficit spending. Her immigration platform was of a piece with the proto-Trumpism brewing during George W. Bush’s second term—no amnesty or benefits for illegal aliens; a crackdown on sanctuary cities like New York ; more agents, fencing, and tech for the border; and legislation making English America’s official language. The Human Rights Campaign, an LGBTQ advocacy group, gave her the lowest rating of any New York Democrat in Congress for her positions on gay rights issues. Her rating from the National Rifle Association, meanwhile, was a solid 100 percent.

These positions, and her work in the mid-1990s as one of the lawyers defending the tobacco company Philip Morris from claims it had lied about the effects of smoking, made her a lightning rod when she was appointed to Hillary Clinton’s vacated Senate seat in 2009. New York Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, a staunch gun control advocate whose husband had been killed in a mass shooting, called Gillibrand “a very bad choice” and promised a primary challenge. Peter Rivera, a prominent Hispanic New York state legislator, said her record on immigration bordered “on xenophobia.” Three of her Democratic colleagues declined to appear at the announcement of her appointment; former Republican Sen. Al D’Amato, whom she had once interned with, showed up.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2017/12/kirsten_gillibrand_is_playing_her_cards_right.html

Kirsten Gillebrand is just another entitled, worthless sack of excrement from the Capital of the Worthless Thumb.
bcnu,
Mikem

New my bad, I had her confused with Kirstjen M. Nielsen (dont know why)
New Re: Really?
FTFNYT:

That calculus may be playing in Democrats’ minds. After Politico published accusations from a former congressional staff member on Wednesday morning that Mr. Franken had forcibly kissed her, Democrats lunged. Unlike earlier accusations, the newest one involved a congressional employee in the workplace.

Mr. Schumer quietly worked through the day to urge Mr. Franken to step aside. According to a person familiar with the conversations, Mr. Schumer called Mr. Franken before any of his fellow senators went public with their resignation calls and later met with Mr. Franken and his wife in Mr. Schumer’s Washington apartment.

But that did not head off a deluge that started when Senator Kirsten Gillibrand of New York declared on Facebook, “Enough is enough.”

“As elected officials, we should be held to the highest standards—not the lowest,” Ms. Gillibrand wrote on Twitter. “The allegations against Sen. Franken describe behavior that cannot be tolerated. While he’s entitled to an Ethics Committee hearing, I believe he should step aside to let someone else serve.”

Ms. Gillibrand was joined by Senators Mazie K. Hirono of Hawaii, Claire McCaskill of Missouri, Dianne Feinstein of California, Patty Murray of Washington State, Kamala Harris of California, Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin, Debbie Stabenow of Michigan, Maria Cantwell of Washington State, Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota, Tammy Duckworth of Illinois and Maggie Hassan of New Hampshire, who issued statements after talking privately with each other for weeks about what to do about Mr. Franken.

Senator Richard J. Durbin of Illinois, the No. 2 Democrat, added his support, as did Senators Bob Casey of Pennsylvania, Joe Donnelly of Indiana, Patrick J. Leahy of Vermont, Edward J. Markey of Massachusetts and Sherrod Brown of Ohio, as well as Mr. Perez of the Democratic National Committee.

“It’s time for him to resign,” Mr. Durbin said. “It just seemed that the credible charges continued. I thought it might be an isolated incident or two. It seems to be that there was a pattern of conduct.”

Gillibrand didn't take Franken down. Franken's past and his inability to overcome it, and people like Roger Stone who were out to get him, took him down.

I heard her speak at a rally at the Lincoln Memorial a few months ago. She needs work on her delivery, but she said the right things. I dunno if she thinks she should run for President in 2020, but she isn't an empty suit and she has a bright future in politics.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Dunno about her in my opinion Franken should not have resigned, the voters should make that choice
New He lost the confidence of his colleagues and was replaced by a Democrat.
Franken always said he had skeletons in his closet.

He did a good job as Senator. I liked him a lot and gave him money several times. I don't know how many of the allegations were true, and how many were ratfucking by Stone and his Minions. But he had to go.

[...]

Serving in the United States Senate has been the great honor of my life. I know in my heart that nothing I have done as a Senator – nothing – has brought dishonor on this institution. And I am confident that the Ethics Committee would agree.

Nevertheless, today I am announcing that, in the coming weeks, I will be resigning as a member of the United States Senate.

I, of all people, am aware that there is some irony in the fact that I am leaving while a man who has bragged on tape about his history of sexual assault sits in the Oval Office, and a man who has repeatedly preyed on young girls campaigns for the Senate with the full support of his party.

But this decision is not about me. It’s about the people of Minnesota. And it’s become clear that I can’t both pursue the Ethics Committee process and, at the same time, remain an effective Senator for them.

Let me be clear. I may be resigning my seat, but I am not giving up my voice. I will continue to stand up for the things I believe in as a citizen, and as an activist.

But Minnesotans deserve a Senator who can focus with all her energy on addressing the challenges they face every day.

There is a big part of me that will always regret having to walk away from this job with so much work left to be done. But I have faith that the work will continue, because I have faith in the people who have helped me do it.

[...]

Cheers,
Scott.
New Fsck his "colleagues" he represented MN not them
If he had pulled a repo "jebus forgives me" he would have been fine
New Allow me to be the first to say ...
If she (Gillebrand) does run and if she ($DEITY help us) becomes the Democratic nominee, prepare for four more years of Drumpf.

I don't often agree with him, but Bill Maher pretty much sums it up.
bcnu,
Mikem

I'm looking forward to 12/31/2018 and an end to the "Year of the Woman". A rant. - (mmoffitt) - (9)
         Yes and no, but mostly no - (drook)
         Kirsten Gillebrand may be a candidate but because she is smart and tough not because she is a woman - (boxley) - (7)
             Really? - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                 my bad, I had her confused with Kirstjen M. Nielsen (dont know why) -NT - (boxley)
                 Re: Really? - (Another Scott) - (4)
                     Dunno about her in my opinion Franken should not have resigned, the voters should make that choice -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                         He lost the confidence of his colleagues and was replaced by a Democrat. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             Fsck his "colleagues" he represented MN not them - (boxley)
                     Allow me to be the first to say ... - (mmoffitt)

The annual lizardfall in the Monterey preserve of California approaches 4,800 lizards per acre per year.
104 ms