IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Fanciful historical resonances
One of these internet free-associative timesinks set me to thinking about Rome of the imperial period, and then of the oft-made observation that the US presidency has metastasized into Caesarism. I considered the earliest Roman emperors (Julius Caesar himself, of course, not being among these, although he laid a fair amount of groundwork for what became the imperial system) and idly wondered how they might, in character and/or career, be mapped onto modern American presidents. I came up with this:

Augustus = FDR (fun fact: Roosevelt’s inner circle referred to their boss among themselves as “Augustus”)

Tiberius = Nixon (capable, ambitious, resentful men, bitter each at having waited so long to reach the top)

Caligula = Bush 43 (coddled, not overbright children of political dynasties)

Claudius = Ford (well-meaning mediocrities who never expected their respective elevations, each installed following the premature removal of his predecessor)

Nero = Well, who else? (fun fact: Nero’s overthrow was followed by a period of civil war)

If we were working it otherwise, mapping presidents to emperors, then I suppose I’d incline to pair Obama with Marcus Aurelius and Trump with Commodus on the basis of the obvious parallel to be drawn between the two transitions, a judicious and temperate ruler succeeded by a vicious, impulsive and dissolute one.

cordially,
New Nero was not overthrown.
The Senate was working out how to keep him on the job to assure a smooth succession. Unfortunately, they didn't get the news to Nero in time. He thought they intended a public execution, and decided on suicide. The messenger arrived just as Nero was dying, "Oh, what an artist dies in me". They tried to keep him alive - but it was too late.

And, then came the civil war the Senate had feared.
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus Aug. 12, 2018, 01:51:51 AM EDT
New Empathetic LRPD offers a response to our dilemma(s)
I made it through almost 20 minutes of this before coming out of my skin and destroying the TV with my mad shrieking.

Imagine.. some %large of 320 MILLION inmates of this asylum--in one unprecedented day-of-Solidarity--smashing their nefarious 'Messenger' of Tweets, of daily er "patently-false semantic tricks", creating as if via telepathy: this National Event, thence suitably reported..

THEN fucking ACTING! (in some equally sententious cohesive manner): to STOP THIS SHIT COLD!!

(Yeah.. I. Know. Pigs not merely flying but in formation, on a Bombing MIssion.)
Employing 'Phlogiston' (a natural Element dissolved in Carbon Bisulfide.)
It's TIME to. reveal. Stuff.
     Fanciful historical resonances - (rcareaga) - (2)
         Nero was not overthrown. - (Andrew Grygus)
         Empathetic LRPD offers a response to our dilemma(s) - (Ashton)

You... shall not... pass!
37 ms