IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New MM, is that you?
New Nah.
I spent most of my life fighting people like that.

This is a better imitation of me. ;0)

bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Hmmm....
The struggle against war and its social source, capitalism, presupposes direct, active, unequivocal support to the oppressed colonial peoples in their struggles and wars against imperialism. A 'neutral' position is tantamount to support of imperialism.

A rather dogmatic opinion, wouldn't you say? >;-p

After all, war existed long, long before Capitalism.

Be that as it may, beware of people who can write long-winded, seemingly persuasive tracts. Too many of them are charlatans.

E.g.:

The same capacity for tacit endorsement is shown by Trotsky's admirers, who even today persist in seeing him as some sort of liberal democrat; or, if not as that, then as a true champion of the working class; or anyway, and at the very worst, as one of those large-hearted Old Bolsheviks who might have made the Soviet Union some kind of successfully egalitarian society had they prevailed. But when it became clear that the vast crime called the collectivization of agriculture would involve a massacre of the peasantry, Trotsky's only criticism was that Stalin's campaign was not sufficiently "militarized." He meant that the peasants weren't being massacred fast enough.

I'm a big fan of Bertie, myself, but I don't want to follow him too far (e.g. his ideas about nudity and education have a whiff of dirty-old-man about them...)

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Hmmmm.
Clive James? The man who expressed skepticism about climate change and supported the invasion of Iraq in 2003?

Then doubled-down with his quip that, "... British papers who have been opposing the Iraq-- what they call the Iraq War although the war only lasted a few days" in a later Bill Moyers interview? That guy?

Citing a climate change denying, neocon sympathizer somehow doesn't persuade me that Trotsky isn't to be admired.

Aside: Your suggesting I might wear one of those shirts is 27 years late. If the shirt had said, "I'd rather be a Soviet than ...", I might have bought one of those. ;0)
bcnu,
Mikem

New Trotsky doesn't seem to have moderate commentators.
Love him or hate him. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground.

So, naturally, I found a critic.

;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New I agree with Hitchens.
Later in Hitchens' life he conceded that he believed Trotsky (near his own end) realized that the whole experiment was based upon a false premise: that the working man could elevate himself into leadership and develop a fair and just system. My reading of Trotsky's last works doesn't completely bear that out explicitly, but reading between the lines one can certainly come to that view.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Clearly then: Trotsky was dead-on, not just re his cohorts but
in Spades re the dis-US also-too (beginning earlier ~'68 assassination-fest).
Alas for all that immersed brilliance re vacuuming-out the Religio-noisemakers: that plot failed in USSR and ..for Murica/'18?
..scatter-bombing with Orange-boy's on-order friendly-nukes? (wouldn't work either).

The True Believer shall forever remain the most likely targeted-individual from The (coming...??) Barricades, I wot

Carrion; it's right next to the Twinkies™ and the Diet-HemlockPatent-applied-for.
New Russell the dirty old man
Years ago I read an account by the late Alistair Cooke about a woman of his acquaintance who still shuddered at the recollection of an interlude in the back seat of a car with the philosopher. Not trusting myself to paraphrase, I have retrieved it:
During his wartime stay in Princeton, when he was in his early seventies, the groves of academe were flustered by rumours of Lord Russell’s goatish ways. One lady whose testimony is to be trusted made the shivering confession that the groping of the noble lord in an automobile conveyed the sensation of “dry leaves rustling up your thighs.”
cordially,
New Yikes! Thanks.
     MM, is that you? - (Another Scott) - (8)
         Nah. - (mmoffitt) - (7)
             Hmmm.... - (Another Scott) - (6)
                 Hmmmm. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                     Trotsky doesn't seem to have moderate commentators. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         I agree with Hitchens. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                             Clearly then: Trotsky was dead-on, not just re his cohorts but - (Ashton)
                 Russell the dirty old man - (rcareaga) - (1)
                     Yikes! Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)

Most of our entire ruling junta.
296 ms