New It's not about the tool, it's about the maintenance
--

Drew
New I skipped ahead, but wow.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Futile . . .
. . do any work with a $1 knife and it needs sharpenig again.

Now, I confess that I splurged $82.00 for my Shun Classic Damascus, but it needs only a few strokes on a fine diamond stone every two weeks, or so (of daily use) and it easily slices tomatoes as thin as that thing does.

Incidentally, the "Damascus" feature is purely decorative, doesn't have the slightest impact on performance. Performance comes from an extremely hard non-Damascus core sharpened at a much shallower angle than Euro/American knives.

Euro/American knives are rather soft, "so they're easy to sharpen", and they don't hold an edge very well, so they're sharpened at a steeper angle.
New Which size Shun?
I've been contemplating upgrading our 26yo Chicago Cutlery set with a good chef's knife. The 8" is $150 though.
Regards,
-scott
New Re: Which size Shun?
This is the 7 inch Santoku, basically a vegetable slicing knife, which I use at least as much as the Prep Knife. I consider a razor sharp Santoku an essential.

My general Prep Knife is a 6-3/4 Mioroshi Deba I bought nearly 50 years ago. The Mioroshi is longer and narrower than the regular Deba, more like a Chef's Knife. The regular Deba is very short, thick and wide, strictly a meat knife.

These two account for 90% of my knife usage. Most of the rest is a 50 year old extremely sharp carbon steel Chinese Cleaver Knife (Dexter-Russell S5198 8" Chinese Chef's Knife - Traditional Series). This I use with a soft faced mallet to drive through pig ribs and feet, whole fish, frozen foods, and similar uses. Less than 1% of my use is a heavy and very sharp Henkels meat cleaver, used to split hard bones, again driven by the soft faced mallet.

The Mioroshi is so old it proudly proclaims "440A Stainless", the steel that made stainless knives usable. No fancy knife maker would proclaim 440A today, they all have their own "special alloy", which is invariably a very slight variation of 440A.

As far as knives go, I find an 8 inch prep knife too long. My world traveling friends gave me an 8" Sabatier, one of the last from their carbon steel line, but I found it too clumsy. When they finally settled down in a Las Vegas condo, I gave it back.

A funny: many years ago Sabatier decided to make only stainless knives, but they had a large supply of carbon steel blanks. They sold these off as scrap, but the buyer didn't scrap them, he started finishing them and selling them. They were so successful, Sabatier decided to restart production of carbon steel knives.

My attitude toward tools, from long experience, is that the high cost of higher quality is a pain soon forgotten. The pain of an inferior tool does not go away.
New IRLRPD.
The high cost of higher quality is a pain soon forgotten. The pain of an inferior tool does not go away.

Yup.

It's the same way with all kinds of tools.

I removed some fake beams from our family room years ago and tried to economize on the drywall sander/vacuum by using a shop vac and a bucket gizmo. It was deafening and was extremely annoying to work with (suction wasn't adjustable, etc., etc.).

I eventually broke down and got a Festool CT36 dust extractor + Sander kit. It worked fabulously well, was quiet, was adjustable, and was a (relative) joy to use. Of course, if one can't spare that much cash, then one has to make do, but when one can, well, the choice is pretty easy (in that case at least).

Cheers,
Scott.
New That one is $150 too
Regards,
-scott
New Re: That one is $150 too
So I see. I checked with BB&B (where I bought mine) and it was 150 there two. I suspect I jumped it when it was on sale.
New Alas.. I must shun Shun some (-what).
New Seems like it. I'll keep my eye out.
Regards,
-scott
New [strike]$80[/strike] $90 on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shun-Classic-7-inch-Santoku-Knife-Hollow-Ground/163165825279

Seems legit, dunno about the details though. Caveat Emptor, etc., etc.

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott July 26, 2018, 05:45:35 PM EDT
New Did you mention 'maintenance'?
Gotcher oil change righ-tchere
New If you're driving that, you aren't doing your own maintenance
--

Drew
New Well.. even the Rich gearhead owners might well resent the stratospheric rates (as in this case)
I mean: this oil/filter/etc. checkout isn't hard; all you need is an organized place for each of the bolts + notes and.. merely leisurely loosening, draining and tightening.
Rest case. You even get to fondle the (almost-all..) Pricey bits as you bond with your Fantasy Wheels.

I'd do this for the Owner, in exchange for a looong weekend en route to Bonneville. Say.
(But s/he'd have to buy the pricey fluids etc. too.. SO ..which IWE'er (closeted) wants to do the swap?)

;^>
New I am reminded of when Jeremy Clarkson bought a Mercedes 600 class.
Very large car. Originally very expensive and well kitted out. And often owned by heads of state.

He bought his second hand. The first service bill was 21 thousand pounds.

Wade.
New [PTBarnum on] "There's one born every minute." [/PTB]
New Oh he showed it to James May so he could be laughed at. :-)
     It's not about the tool, it's about the maintenance - (drook) - (16)
         I skipped ahead, but wow. -NT - (malraux)
         Futile . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (8)
             Which size Shun? - (malraux) - (7)
                 Re: Which size Shun? - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                     IRLRPD. - (Another Scott)
                     That one is $150 too - (malraux) - (4)
                         Re: That one is $150 too - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                             Alas.. I must shun Shun some (-what). -NT - (Ashton)
                             Seems like it. I'll keep my eye out. -NT - (malraux)
                         [strike]$80[/strike] $90 on eBay. - (Another Scott)
         Did you mention 'maintenance'? - (Ashton) - (5)
             If you're driving that, you aren't doing your own maintenance -NT - (drook) - (4)
                 Well.. even the Rich gearhead owners might well resent the stratospheric rates (as in this case) - (Ashton) - (3)
                     I am reminded of when Jeremy Clarkson bought a Mercedes 600 class. - (static) - (2)
                         [PTBarnum on] "There's one born every minute." [/PTB] -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                             Oh he showed it to James May so he could be laughed at. :-) -NT - (static)

Mandatory cayenne enemas would have the same effect.
243 ms