IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Passwords are such a stupid way to secure things
Just got one of these.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2018/07/sextortion-scam-uses-recipients-hacked-passwords/

I opened it because I recognized one of my old passwords in the subject line. I knew the specific threat was bogus, but it did prompt me to try to remember any other places I might have used that password.
--

Drew
New I've seen a number of login schemes that involve emailing a logged-in link
We flirted with that, and it works, but there's a definite delayed gratification if your email provider is being slow.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New It's different, granted.
But it tends to tie your login to the system you read your email on.

Wade.
New &wvF3Mxw%yg28vcHH4Cc
^^ my passwords are all like that these days

yay lastpass
New What do you do about access from multiple machines?
Do they save your passwords in an account in "the cloud" the way Chrome, et al., do? If so, aren't you at the mercy of how good their security is?

I keep thinking/hoping that things like this will do away with stupid passwords sometime before the heat death of the universe.

Google to sell its own hardware 2FA solution, the Titan Security Key

Ryne Hager
Jul 25, 2018

Google is in full-on enterprise announcement mode, today being the second of three days dedicated to its business-centric Cloud Next conference. One interesting tidbit that's been making the rounds (independently of an announcement at the event itself, so far) is some new security hardware Google plans on selling in its store. This isn't anything so glamorous as a new phone, tablet, or Chromebook, though: They're a pair of hardware 2FA security keys.

The devices are apparently collectively called the Titan Security Key, and, as noted by 9to5Google, the two keys look pretty much identical to the Feitan ePass FIDO -NFC and MultiPass FIDO. We aren't sure how related this might be to Google's previously announced Titan enterprise security hardware, but CNET was allegedly able to confirm that these will be making use of different hardware.

[...]

Oh, and welcome back!

Cheers,
Scott.
New That's what the "forgot password" link is for >:-)
New Yep, cloud storage
And yes, you are.

At some point you have to trust something.

Even if my LastPass account is compromised, and all my passwords are available, everything that's critical - bank, Apple/Google/MS/Amazon/LastPass itself/etc accounts - is secured with 2FA to my phone anyway - so The Terrorists would have to physically obtain that (or clone my SIM and intercept the SMS messages, at which point if you're that interesting to the kinds of people who have those capabilities, you've got bigger problems) to get anywhere.
     Passwords are such a stupid way to secure things - (drook) - (6)
         I've seen a number of login schemes that involve emailing a logged-in link - (malraux) - (1)
             It's different, granted. - (static)
         &wvF3Mxw%yg28vcHH4Cc - (pwhysall) - (3)
             What do you do about access from multiple machines? - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 That's what the "forgot password" link is for >:-) -NT - (scoenye)
                 Yep, cloud storage - (pwhysall)

Just playing with your LRPD addiction...
90 ms