IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Manichean Redux
At one point or another, I've owned every album from "Shot of Love" all the way back through to the original "Bob Dylan". I guess that means i made the man rich - "All I really want to do, is baby sell records to you".

As for Slow Train, I didn't really like that period music in his career. As in all Dylan songs, things are either good or their evil, right or wrong - which side are you on. Preachy, moralistic ditties, that tend to contradict both earlier and later works of the same artist.

Personally I prefer the stuff that Dylan's done in the last few years to his saved period. I gather that Dylan is not nearly so sure of his salvation these days, but is quite cognizant of his mortality and limitations.
New Gotta serve somebody...
as it turns out, it was Dylan's managers and agents for you and I both. I actually do like this particular album a great deal (beautiful song like "I believe in you...") and all.

My favorite is still The Times They Are A Chanin' (album)... I can't help it. Still love Spanish boots... I also love Blood on the Tracks and whichever one Tangled Up in Blue is on...

In any case, wasn't really going for the artist. I really never paid any attention to the lyrics of Slow Train Coming until last night and was blown away. Going for reaction to these particular lyrics...
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

"Putting the fun back into funatic"
New Re: Gotta serve somebody...
"Blue" is the first song on "Tracks". Single greatest Dylan song on that one, "Idiot Wind", a long song.

"Bob, what are you up to with these songs?"

"Oh, I think some of them are up to 10 or 11 minutes now."
New He's Funny
Some of the early stuff is laced with wicked wit - like "WW III Dream" and "Subterranean Homesick Blues". Actually both Dylan and Neil Young share the property of being at least interesting in their weaker efforts.
New Somewhere along the line...
...Dylan seems to have lost is sense of humor - at least when it comes to his music. Neil Young is as playful with his tunes as he's ever been.

If I had to pick my favs, it'd probably be Blood on the Tracks for Dylan and Tonight's the Night for Young. Both albums, though, qualify as morose since BOT is about divorce and TNT is about the death of a junky. Nothing like listening to true suffering when it's put down on vinyl. :-)
     Wonderin' what y'all think... - (screamer) - (8)
         no problem unless J Baez starts makin ya hard :) -NT - (boxley) - (1)
             The word Scumbag comes to mind... ;-> for some reason...LOL -NT - (screamer)
         Manichean Redux - (ChrisR) - (4)
             Gotta serve somebody... - (screamer) - (1)
                 Re: Gotta serve somebody... - (deSitter)
             He's Funny - (deSitter) - (1)
                 Somewhere along the line... - (ChrisR)
         Try not to take them too seriously. - (Ashton)

Jabber is not a command line!
83 ms