IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Are you absolutely sure that's not satire?
"...the presentation became gentler and smoother. The treble, in particular, was revelatory. Thanks to the elimination of hardness and glare, I could listen at higher volumes without the sound bothering my ears. The presentation became more musically vivid without becoming more sonically vivid -- a rare feat that I greatly value."

What kind of dressing would you like on that word salad?

Oh, and I love their proof by assertion lampshading:
There are significant, audible differences between USB cables. We're not sure how this is possible, since USB is purported to be a purely digital interface, however, the sonic differences are repeatable and consistent from system to system. A better USB cable makes a better digital audio cable, period.

Wait wait ... the second one is even better:
Dielectric-Bias System

All insulation slows down the signal on the conductor inside. When insulation is unbiased, it slows down parts of the signal differently, a big problem for very time-sensitive multi-octave audio. AudioQuest’s DBS creates a strong, stable electrostatic field which saturates and polarizes (organizes) the molecules of the insulation. This minimizes both energy storage in the insulation and the multiple nonlinear time-delays that occur. Sound appears from a surprisingly black background with unexpected detail and dynamic contrast. The DBS battery packs will last for years. A test button and LED allow for the occasional battery check.

And this is for HDMI! The bullshit-per-word ratio rivals a Kellyanne Conway interview.
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook July 6, 2018, 11:39:50 PM EDT
New You know too much. That makes satire a possibility.
If "dielectric" is just a word to you, then your quotations are gospel! :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Hmmmm. . . I wonder how . . .
. . UTP can carry 10 Gigabit digital traffic for 100 meters without this battery provided "polarization" of its dialectrics?

I'm going with satire.

File this with $1000 speaker cables.
New No.. precisely akin to every Lie-repeated by Drumpf-->All-your Bases-suck
Hey.. I dealt with the antecedents of these now full-into-looney-bin ... descendants.

[tl;dr: The sheep shall be sheared] but you Knew that.
--Anonymous

An avocation, I played at audio consulting (with as little cha. cha. as possible) in the quite early days, where the Giants were (all ™s) Marantz, Crown (massive Ampex-like tape recorders), Revox/tape, and a slew like Scott, Fisher, H-K AR and the better Kits from Heath, Dynaco et al. Then, esp re vac-tube IFs (the Ultimate being the Tchebyshev filters of the nonesuch Marantz "10-B" tuner w/ oscilloscope: to minimize FM multipath reflections. Though that one would never need "adjusting") .. measurements began to morph-into disingenuous Ads, poco á poco.

ie One Could then, actually improve various adjustables ..tweak for a better than std. IF curve etc. and that was not BS. Could minimize THD or IM-distortions.. not BS either though not fully revelatory of what "Musically-Bitchin" might ever mean?/despite Science n'such. {sigh}
But matters diverged pro regressively as more folk with imagined/sometimes-Real-er Golden ears AND a wallet to match: these became thelawul prey of the Grifters-just-like-today's ignoble clan.
[That's the short-form]

I ceased paying attention on hearing of the first $40K bare *turntable and reading the befflegab of--still extant?--Sterophile magazine. Actively missing from most-all the current lots was the honesy exhibitions of Edgar Villchur, KLH wherein: Live was seamlessly alternated with (pre-) recorded passages of clasical music. This was indeed Science not Grift. The high-water mark in 'the field', I wot.

* subsequent hearsay was that you could pay >$100Grand for such. (Unconfirmed; too lazy to search re Now)

Next.. honesty diffused well-into the bafflegab + NO double-blind comparisons as described 'happened'.
(In fact I have to refurb a couple 'NAD's and somehow replace the drivers in a nonesuch 'time-aligned™' pair of bitchin speakers ... as may never happen should I, post-Nov, g.t.f. Outta this Chicken Outfit; shall then settle for the small.. somewhat amazing gadgetry by Tivoli + a few. These be suitably portable. But not: a Marantz 8-B or pair of "9"s driving full range electrostatic speakers by KLH.

Oh well; moi's ear-pans ears can more easily be fooled now anyway [/sour-grapes.]
So it's all Drumpfish-pure-shit-grade hyperbole, greed, prices a ƒ(perceived wallet-weight) and ... all I can say is:

You Can find, refurb (replace caps and the usual e- guts) wonderfully musical amps like the Marantz 8-B atereo amps; last one I looked on eBay for a price check was >$3500. Hell I peddled a few 10-Bs and other nonesuch things; also got to live with them etc. The only useful Listening test, if you educate your ears (and how you employ them in clever A/B comparos.

Carrion;
doubtless there are several Megabuck 'systems' out there; these purchasers are the lawful prey of [see above.]
I Mean: how about dem "decibel Playoffs" wherein utterly deranged-sheep put Kilowatts of audio into a car enclosure {but at least ..even these cretins allow that: No One May? Should? CAN also sit inside this torture-chamber.} and we're talkin 'bout orders/magnitude >>Jet-engine at 1-foot, ETC. What a seppuku-driven Species.
New I think I'll go with O'Brien's BS Repellent...
New I am reminded of those green CD pens.
You might remember the ones: you painted the edge green and it was supposed to prevent some mis-reflected data or some such crap. Local electronics mag got hold of one such a pen and could not, of course, hear a difference. Then they got creative: if you did only one half of a disc's edge, wouldn't you hear a modulation of the disc's speed, reflecting alternating "repaired" and "unrepaired" data?

They could detect nothing. Of course. :-)

Wade.
New Are you sure there was nothing wrong with your ears?
https://positive-feedback.com/Issue43/green_pen.htm
The first thing I did was play one of my favorite SACDs: Virgil Thomson's The River and The Plow That Broke the Plains - Leopold Stokowski conducting The Symphony of the Air. Then I removed the SACD, treated it with CD Stoplight and waited the required 5 minutes for the ink to dry and put it back in the player. Right away I noticed a considerable increase in volume! Once I lowered the volume to a level comparable to the before treatment level I also noticed the bass was warmer, the performing space was "airier", the outline of the instruments seemed more defined and the dynamic attacks were sharper. It appears to smooth out the sound, increase ambiance and make percussive attacks more exciting. All this from a green ink ring around the outside of the disc, amazing!
New What is an "airier" performing space? What is a "performing space"? Why is "airier" good?
--

Drew
New No clue. But then I buy the $5 cables (and I never got one of those green pens either) :-/
New A problem with reviews, is so many are fake . . .
. . paid for by the vendor, or are by idiots who don't know what they're talking about.
New Hmmm.. audio, politics ..in bed together now. Incest!
New Don't know, or don't care?
When someone says USB cables "reduce glare", what does he think he means? If it's somebody in marketing making shit up I can at least understand it. But how deluded do you need to be to think that means something?
--

Drew
New Well, whole subcultures are based on delusion . . .
. . you have to BELIEVE!
New I happen to know my ears are quite good.
Which is why I love my EarStudio for mobile audio and my Vifa speakers for the lounge room.

But I digress. The test was by an electronics magazine who bought a CD Pen as the vendor wouldn't give them one to review. So they did the review without any interference from the vendor. :-)

Wade.
New fekkin noise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV2THARSCOA
try the same with AC/DC thunderstruck
what you have is flat, atonal strings. Sound track for "fist full of dynamite" was much better.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Maxwell worked out all this stuff years and years ago.
Maxwell's Equations tell you all you need to know about how E-M fields propagate in various media.

Yeah, E-M fields slow down in media other than light vacuum/air. And it's related to the dielectric constant (n) - or more precisely, the complex permittivity.

There are different kinds of dielectrics with different behaviors - ferroelectrics, anti-ferroelectrics, etc., etc. The dielectric properties can and do change as a function of applied electric field for many, many types of materials.

But almost none of this stuff matters at audio frequencies! That's how you know all this is woo. At microwave and mm-wave and visible frequencies (GHz to THz+) - yeah this stuff matters a lot.

At 20-20,000 Hz, nah, not so much.

And digital - yeah, digital doesn't care about 20-20,000 Hz audio signals either.

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott July 9, 2018, 08:03:35 AM EDT
New The clear, bright line for me
I would consider any enhancements to the analog signal to plausibly have an affect. But a digital signal is either there or not. You could have drops/interruptions in the signal, but there's no way a to alter the quality of the sound in a digital signal path.
--

Drew
New ^This^ is a sufficiency.
..and the inability to See that this must be so: is just another gauge of the deemed-irrelevance of Facts ... apparently not confined to the possibly-terminal political-seppuku now a Real Possibility
in this [formally defined by UN as] 'third-world'--call it 'Failed'-State.

(Never has Mr. Azimov's proposition re Ignorance in Murica been so perfectly proven as Now).
The audio version is, of course a very sub-subset of the Std Bizness Lie.
Expand Edited by Ashton July 14, 2018, 05:36:18 PM EDT
New Almost.
Digital jitter is A Thing and can create audible artifacts. But that's the sort of thing error correction is supposed to help fix.

Despite all the advertised digital wizardry in my EarStudio (including things like jitter cleaning and oversampling which I leave off or on defaults), the single best feature it has is the inaudible noise floor.

Wade.
     Wonderful audiphile woo - (drook) - (23)
         And that's not counting the iPhone X to plug them in to - (scoenye) - (21)
             ..a $K+ fer the fone; $K+ fer earphones.. pretty soon adds up to Real Money (unless you began daft?) - (Ashton) - (20)
                 Audiophiles are a distinct species by now - (scoenye) - (19)
                     Are you absolutely sure that's not satire? - (drook) - (18)
                         You know too much. That makes satire a possibility. - (a6l6e6x)
                         Hmmmm. . . I wonder how . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                         No.. precisely akin to every Lie-repeated by Drumpf-->All-your Bases-suck - (Ashton)
                         I think I'll go with O'Brien's BS Repellent... -NT - (scoenye)
                         I am reminded of those green CD pens. - (static) - (9)
                             Are you sure there was nothing wrong with your ears? - (scoenye) - (7)
                                 What is an "airier" performing space? What is a "performing space"? Why is "airier" good? -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                     No clue. But then I buy the $5 cables (and I never got one of those green pens either) :-/ -NT - (scoenye)
                                 A problem with reviews, is so many are fake . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                     Hmmm.. audio, politics ..in bed together now. Incest! -NT - (Ashton)
                                     Don't know, or don't care? - (drook) - (1)
                                         Well, whole subcultures are based on delusion . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 I happen to know my ears are quite good. - (static)
                             fekkin noise - (boxley)
                         Maxwell worked out all this stuff years and years ago. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                             The clear, bright line for me - (drook) - (2)
                                 ^This^ is a sufficiency. - (Ashton)
                                 Almost. - (static)
         And they *still* won't be as good as my £100 Sony MDR-7506s -NT - (pwhysall)

Solar-powered!
105 ms